This easy Celery Juice has been noted to have major health benefits and even powerful healing properties to keep your body energized and build your immunity
This easy Celery Juice has been noted to have major health benefits and even powerful healing properties to keep your body energized and build your immunity. Made with only celery and apples (to sweeten it naturally), this quick-to-make drink is refreshing, nutritious and delicious!
Celery juice health benefits
There’s so much talk about how good a single glass of celery juice is to start your day. This comes highly recommend by the Medical Medium but also by many nutritional experts. You can read more in this article in Medical News Today, but some benefits may include:
- Reduced inflammation and allergies: Celery contains two beneficial antioxidants that may help treat a range of inflammatory diseases.
- Reduced cholesterol: This is likely from high levels of antioxidants that can lower LDL, or “bad”, cholesterol levels
- Lower blood pressure: Just one glass a day can help lower blood pressure, because celery juice is rich in the chemical compound 3nB.
How to make celery juice
To start, wash and chop the celery and the apples. You want to thoroughly wash both because you’ll be consuming them entirely when they go through the juicer. You can keep the leaves on the celery. Actually, that’s where most of the health benefits are! And you can keep skin on the apples for added fiber, but make sure to remove any seeds.
Next, you can start juicing by pushing the celery through the juicer. And you’ll see celery juice coming out of the spout while any tougher parts of the celery discarded in the bowl underneath the blade.
If you’re using any fruit to sweeten the celery juice, I found that it helps to alternate between the celery and the fruit so that the flavors incorporate well together. I love using green fruits like apples and pears.
The result is a homemade, clean, smooth celery juice. It will go straight into your blood stream and give you an immediate boost of energy, hydration and nutrition. If I had more time to clean my juicer every day, I would definitely be making it regularly. But since it’s not always practical, I recommend making it once weekly to reap as much benefits as possible from the celery juice.
Tips for making celery juice
- Use organic celery whenever possible. Celery is commonly on the dirty dozen list carrying more pesticides than most other fruits and vegetables. The cost of buying it organic is not much higher for celery specifically, so it’s worth if if possible. If you’re using conventional celery, make sure to scrub well before juicing.
- Clean the celery well, even if it’s organic. The best way to clean celery is to rinse it with cold water while you rub your fingers along the surfaces of the stalk, both on the inside and the outside from top to bottom. The bottom of the stalk will especially be dirty since it’s the root of the vegetable.
- Drink immediately after juicing or at the very latest by 24 hours after juicing. That’s because the health benefits of this celery juice recipe, and any fresh juice for that matter, are strongest immediately after juicing.
Frequently asked questions
How long does celery juice last?
When you make the juice, it is best to drink it straight away to get the maximum health benefits. The enzymes in the celery and apples will start to break down as soon as they are exposed to the air. If you can’t drink it straight away, cover your juice with plastic wrap and refrigerate. All fresh juices should be consumed within 24 hours.
Can you make celery juice in a blender?
If you don’t have a juicer, you can actually still reap the benefits of celery juice by making it in a blender. Just chop the celery and its leaves finely and blend in a high speed blender. Add 1/4 cup of water if needed to start the blender. Then strain well using a cheese cloth and drink immediately.
How do you make celery juice taste better?
This juice recipe also contains apples which add a hint of sweetness to the juice. Feel free to try other pieces of fruit like pineapple or strawberries to find what works best for you. To keep the juice low calorie, try adding cucumber, lemon juice or ginger. If you prefer your juice to be cold, add a couple of ice cubes to your glass before making the juice.
More healthy juices/smoothies:
- Aloe Vera Smoothie
- Detox Kale Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Glowing Green Smoothie
- Superfood Smoothie
- Cucumber Juice
- Homemade Lemonade
Celery juice may be an acquired taste, but once you get used to it and feel its amazing benefits in your body, you’ll be making it on repeat. I love how simple it is to make it and that I can customize it for my kids or to change it up with different fruits. This can cost up to $15 for a bottle of cold pressed celery juice, but it’s a fraction of the cost to make it at home!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Celery Juice recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 1 large bunch celery
- 3 green apples optional
- Rinse the celery thoroughly, making sure to rub your fingers along the surfaces of the stalk on the inside and outside.
- Place the celery stalks along with the leaves through the juicer. If you're using additional fruits like apple, you can alternate between the celery and apples for best taste and consistency. You should get between 16 and 20 ounces.
- Drink immediately for best results.