There's nothing more refreshing on a hot day than a pitcher of simple homemade lemonade. Make your own lemonade recipe from scratch and enjoy within minutes
This easy homemade lemonade recipe is the best refreshing summer drink! Made with simple ingredients, it’s simple to make a pitcher to cool down on hot days. Skip the store bought lemonade and try making it from scratch!
How to make homemade lemonade
- Make the simple syrup by combining the water and sugar and heating it until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the simple syrup to a pitcher.
- Pour over the lemon juice.
- Top with water.
- Serve and combine.
Tips for making best lemonade
- Adjust the sweetness by making more simple syrup. I use a 1:1 ratio for the simple syrup, so if you want to sweeten it, use 3/4 cup sugar or 1 cup sugar and the same amount of water.
- Use fresh lemon juice, not bottled. It is much zingier in flavor and also contains more vitamin C.
- Use fruit ice cubes to add more fruit flavor. I make these by simply adding any fruit to ice cube trays, filling with water and then freezing. They are so cute for serving drinks in the summer.
- Add rose water or orange blossom water for a more fragrant taste. These are made by steeping rose petals or orange blossom petals in water. You can buy a bottle of them at Middle Eastern stores, and they add a fresh sweet taste without added sugar. It’s a very popular way of making Lemonade in the Middle East.
Frequently asked questions
Once you have made the pitcher, place it in the fridge and it will keep well for 5 to 7 days. I like to cover it with plastic wrap while it sits.
I prefer to use cane sugar in my lemonade as it is not as processed as granulated sugar. It has a slightly deeper taste as it contains more molasses. If you only have granulated sugar, you can make a straight swap as they are very similar in sweetness.
If you prefer your lemonade to have a little fizz, you can use sparkling water. However, if you are using sparkling water or soda water, only add it to the concentrate when you are ready to serve so that it doesn’t go flat.
More Easy Drink Recipes
- Chia Seeds in Water
- Celery Water
- Layered Smoothie
- Ginger Turmeric Tea
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Whipped Coffee
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Homemade Lemonade recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 4 cups water divided
- 1 tablespoon rose water optional
- 1 cup lemon juice about 4-6 lemons
- Start by making a simple syrup by combining ½ cup water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thickened but still clear colored, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, add the rose water.
- Pour the simple syrup into a serving pitcher. Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice on top along with the remaining 3 cups of water. Stir to combine and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, add ice cubes and sliced lemons