Chia seeds in water with lemon and honey is a refreshing and healthy drink. This hydrating chia fresca is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients.
Chia fresca is an easy, healthy and refreshing drink that can be enjoyed throughout the year. These chia seeds in water are flavored with honey and lemon for a natural energy drink. Plus, they look really cool!
Chia seeds in water benefits
- Great drink for hydration.
- Contains soluble and insoluble fiber for improved digestion.
- Contains minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and potassium.
- Can help to regulate blood sugar.
Ingredients to make chia fresca
- Water: Nothing fancy here, normal tap or bottled water is just fine.
- Chia seeds: You only need a tablespoon of chia seeds per drink to gain a lot of health benefits!
- Honey: I like to use honey for a natural sweetener, but you can skip this if you’d like.
- Lemon: Use fresh lemon juice rather than bottled for a hit of vitamin C. You can also use lime juice.
How to make your own chia fresca
- Add the chia seeds to water.
- Stir well and let sit. When you see separate and clumping after a few minutes, stir again.
- Pour in the honey.
- Pour in the lemon juice.
- Stir to combine one more time and there should be no clumping left.
Tips for making chia fresca
- Be sure to stir the seeds well when you add them to the water. The seeds will settle to the bottom and float to the top, so stir them really well so that they plump up evenly.
- Make this drink vegan by using maple syrup instead of honey. You can also omit the sweetener if you prefer to have it unsweetened.
- Use coconut water instead of plain water. It adds a great flavor as well as a lot of other health benefits like natural electrolytes for extra hydration
Frequently asked questions
I prefer to drink this as soon as i’ve made it, or within a couple of hours. It will keep well in the fridge, covered, for two to three days.
Chia seeds are fairly widely available and you should easily be able to pick them up in your local store. Some stores will stock them in the health food or organic aisle, and in others they are stocked in baking.
More Easy Drinks Recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chia Fresca recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 24 ounces water or coconut water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Divide the water and chia seeds into two cups. Stir well to avoid clumps, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Stir again to loosen any clumps of chia seeds and set aside for 5 more minutes.
- After 5 minutes total, the chia seeds will plump up. Add the honey and lemon juice and stir one more time. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge.