This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Detox Kale Smoothie recipe is sponsored by Wholesome Sweeteners. As always, all opinions are my own ?
Breakfast smoothies, like this Detox Kale Smoothie, are now part of our modern, kitchen vocabulary. There is no better way to enjoy a healthy, grab-and-go meal that is packed with everything you need – vitamins, minerals, fiber, macronutrients – and it tastes good too!
This heart healthy green kale smoothie is indeed healthy, but it doesn’t have that overwhelmingly earthy or green flavor that can be problem with so many other recipes. That’s because I sweeten it naturally with some green apples and Wholesome Allulose sugar-free sweetener to balance out the distinct heft of the kale leaves.
Whipped up in just a couple minutes, you can top it off with chia seeds or shredded coconut to boost the texture, flavor and even nutrient density. However you have it, this kale smoothie will give you a huge amount of energy to start your day.
Green smoothie ingredient health benefits:
- Kale: It is just too beneficial and offers such benefits as high fiber, zero fat, and an amazingly high amount of magnesium and folate – two things many of us lack in in our modern diets that can help with detoxing.
- Celery: Though considered a secondary ingredient in many dishes, celery offers a nice level of clean flavor here, along with a surprisingly high number of enzymes and antioxidants.
- Sweetener: To combat any bitterness from the kale, I add Wholesome Allulose. It’s a zero-calorie sweetener with full-sugar flavor, but no bitterness or aftertaste like other popular low-calorie alternatives. It’s Non-GMO Project Verified, Keto Certified, Gluten Free, Vegan and Kosher, so it’s perfect for the detox smoothie, or in your coffee, tea or cocktails. Allulose also comes in granulated form, which is great in baking recipes.
- Green apple: It gives this smoothie its note of subtle sweetness, adds vitamin C and comes with the benefit of fiber. Improve your digestion with the green apple in this recipe, but also enjoy benefits like cholesterol balancing and blood sugar management.
- Ginger: Ginger is used in most detox recipes because it has cleansing qualities that stimulate digestion, circulation, and sweating. This helps to reduce build-up of waste and toxins in the organs.
- Coconut Water: You’ll need some liquid to help blend the smoothie. Coconut water provides a great source of electrolytes that give your body hydration, especially after exercise. Plus, it’s less calories than using milk and more flavorful than just using water.
How to make this kale smoothie
The recipe is as easy as placing all the ingredients in a blender, adding the liquid and blending until it’s smooth. Then add Wholesome Allulose zero-calorie sweetener to reduce the sometimes-bitter taste of the kale and ginger. I recommend adding a tablespoon to start, then tasting the kale smoothie and adjusting as you see fit.
Tips to make this detox kale smoothie
- Drink the smoothie as soon as you make it. The nutrients decrease once the ingredients are blended and exposed to oxygen. If you can’t drink it straight away, cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Drink within 24 hours.
- Use a high speed blender for best consistency. If you don’t have a high speed blender like a Vitamix or Ninja, blend the kale, celery and coconut water first and then add the other ingredients. You are less likely to end up with a lumpy smoothie this way.
- Use frozen apples or other frozen fruits for a colder thicker smoothie. You can also add ice cubes to the blender or pour ice cubes over the smoothie after you pour it in the glass.
Frequently asked questions
Blend the smoothie for at least two minutes so that it is smooth and without lumps. If you are using a high speed blender, 2 minutes will be sufficient. But if you are using a regular blender, then 3 minutes is preferable.
Smoothies are best enjoyed straight away to make the most of the nutrients. But you can make them the night before and keep them covered and refrigerated. The smoothie may separate, so just give it a good stir before you drink it.
Smoothies are a great way to start your day and a quick way to get a lot of goodness into your body. This smoothie contains only 100 calories and a good amount of fiber. It’s perfect to have to kick off your day before breakfast or between breakfast and lunch. It will give you energy and keep you feeling full.
For more healthy smoothies/juices:
- Energizing Green Smoothie
- Celery Juice
- Strawberry Vanilla Smoothie
- Superfood Smoothie
- Pineapple Smoothie
- Chia Fresca
Among the many recipes for breakfast smoothies, everyone should have at least one delicious green smoothie option like this Kale Smoothie. Pack in some heart-healthy greens like kale, add other vegetables, one fruit and some liquid to blend it all together, and you’ve got a nutritious breakfast to kick off your day!
Thank you Wholesome Sweeteners for sponsoring this Detox Kale Smoothie recipe.
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Detox Kale Smoothie recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Detox Kale Smoothie
- 3 cups kale stemmed
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 3 cups coconut water
- 1 green apple
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Wholesome Allulose sweetener
- Place all the ingredients in a blender in the order of appearance.
- Blend the ingredients in a high-speed blender for 2-3 minutes until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste the smoothie, adding more coconut water if it is too thick or adding more sweetener if it’s not sweet enough for you.
- Pour into a cup or mason jar. Enjoy cold immediately, or store in fridge for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
As soon as I saw you making this smoothie in your Stories, and since I have all the ingredients cut and clean, I put everything in the blender and got the most nutritious healthy smoothie.
Love ginger .