This Aloe Vera Smoothie packs in all the benefits of the superfood aloe plant in one healthy drink. It can help you boost your immunity & hydrate your skin!
This aloe vera smoothie recipe is easy to make and a healthy drink that is great to include in your diet. It packs in all the benefits of the superfood aloe plant in one healthy drink. It can help you boost your immunity & hydrate your skin!
We’ve all heard about the amazing skin and hair benefits of aloe vera. It’s used to heal sunburns, replenish split ends and moisturize skin. But can you actually eat aloe vera as well to consume some of its benefits? And the answer is yes! And can you put aloe vera in smoothies? Absolutely. You can cut the gel out and add it to your favorite blends. I’ll share below my favorite Aloe Vera Smoothie recipe.
What is it?
Aloe vera, sometimes called the “wonder plant,” is a short-stemmed shrub. It’s famous for the gel found in the plant’s leaves. That gel is used mostly in personal products like moisturizers, soap, and suntan lotion, herbal remedies, food supplements, cosmetics and even food! It’s mostly commonly known to soothe a sunburn.
How to eat aloe vera
Many people wonder if it’s edible, and it is in fact edible. Because it can sometimes have a strong unappealing smell, I found that the best way to consume aloe vera in a recipe is through a smoothie. In that way you can really blend it up with any other ingredients you like and absorb all its amazing benefits!
Once you have removed the skin from the gel, you can eat it raw, but I much more prefer it added to a smoothie!
The amazing thing is you can reap healthy benefits from drinking the aloe vera smoothie.
- Can help with your digestive system
- Can help heal wounds
- Can be used to treat constipation
- Can prevent wrinkles and slow down skin aging
- Can lower blood sugar
- Can boost the immune system
- Can be used to prevent hair loss
I first tried a pretty tropical Aloe Vera Smoothie recipe. I used coconut water, orange juice, pineapples, kiwi and cucumber. Although I really love this combination of ingredients, the color wasn’t too pretty (it was yellowish greenish with seeds from the kiwi). And there was a pretty distinct taste of the aloe vera gel.
So I switched things up and tried my simplest ever smoothie recipe. I used coconut milk, frozen strawberries, a banana and about 1/4 cup of the gel from the aloe vera plant.
How to make an aloe vera smoothie
Place all the ingredients in a blender, and give it a whirl. You can add coconut milk if it looks too thick or add a sweetener if you’d like. For me, the flavor was a perfect.
Then pour into two glasses and enjoy immediately, as you should with all homemade smoothies.
Tips to make this recipe
- Blend the smoothie well. I like to let my blender run for 2 to 3 minutes to make sure there are no lumps left.
- Drink it straight away. This smoothie is best drunk as soon as you make it, as soon as the ingredients are blended, they slowly start to lose their nutrients. It will keep for 24 hours in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Use frozen fruits instead of fresh. Frozen banana will add a nice creamy texture and if you use frozen fruits, you won’t need to add ice that can dilute the drink.
- Buy aloe vera in your local store. Most large grocery stores now carry aloe vera leaves and you can find them in the produce isle.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can buy ready prepared aloe vera gel to make this smoothie, which is the most convenient option, but you can make the gel yourself at home using the leaves. Check out this how to from Wellness Mama.
If smoothies aren’t your thing, you can still benefit form all of the goodness of this plant by making your own juice – it’s much more economical than buying it! Check out this recipe from Indian Healthy Recipes to make your homemade aloe juice!
If you have raw aloe, it can taste slightly bitter with an acidic taste, it has a flavor that many would consider unpleasant. By adding it into a smoothie, you hide the natural flavor but still get to enjoy all of its benefits.
It’s so fun to switch up your smoothie routine by adding aloe vera gel to it. This Aloe Vera Smoothie is so easy to add to any of your favorite smoothies for some bonus nutrition. Plus if you have any leftover gel, you can use it on your hair or skin for the ultimate DIY home spa. Not bad for a smoothie recipe, ehy!
More smoothie and juice recipes
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Glowing Green Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Raspberry Iced Team Smoothie
- Breakfast Coffee Smoothie
- Cucumber Juice
- Fruit Ice Cubes (to add to your smoothies)
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Aloe Vera Smoothie recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Aloe Vera Smoothie
- ¼ cup filleted aloe vera gel
- 1 banana
- ½ cup strawberries
- ¼ cup ice
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- Place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients in a high-speed blender for 2-3 minutes until you get a smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste the smoothie, adding more coconut milk if it is too thick or adding a sweetener of choice if it’s not sweet enough for you.
- Pour into a cup or mason jar. Add fresh fruit topping or shredded coconut for garnish, if desired. Enjoy cold immediately, or store in fridge for up to 24 hours.