This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Get ready for a delicious way to add flavor to your breakfast, inspired by a viral recipe from TikTok. Pesto eggs are made with 4 main ingredients and ready to enjoy in less than 10 minutes. You’re going to love this easy egg recipe that’s become an internet sensation!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Pesto: You can use your favorite store bought or homemade pesto for this recipe. The eggs are cooked on top of the pesto for a great herby flavor.
- Eggs: Cook the eggs whole in a skillet in the pesto til set. They only take a few minutes, so they are perfect for busy mornings.
- Sourdough bread: Serve these pesto eggs on lightly toasted sourdough slices for a nice crunch. Other toasted breads will work well too.
- Ricotta cheese: The creaminess of the ricotta balances the tang of the pesto for a perfect combination. Feel free to use other types of cheese or use mashed avocado for a dairy-free version.
- Crushed red pepper: This is optional, but the pepper flakes add a nice hint of spice as well as color. You can just use salt and pepper to season, or try with a sprinkle of paprika.
How to make pesto eggs
- Add the pesto to a warm skillet.
- Heat until fragrant.
- Place the whole eggs on top of the pesto.
- Cover and allow the steam to continue cooking the eggs.
- You’ll know they’re done cooking when the whites are set and the yolk is cooked to your liking.
Serve the pesto eggs on the sourdough spread with a little ricotta and sprinkle with the crushed red pepper flakes.
Tips for making the recipe
- Scramble the eggs with the pesto. This is such a versatile concept of cooking the eggs with pesto instead of oil or butter. So you can scramble the eggs instead, or cook them in any other way.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl before adding to the pan. This method is less likely to break the yolks as you can drop them in closer to the pan. You will also be able to easily fish out any shell if you have any break in.
- Cover the eggs when they cook. This will help them to cook faster as well as more evenly. The steam will help to cook and set the top of the whites and you won’t burn the bottoms.
- Use a glass lid to cover your pan. This way you can easily see when the eggs are cooked to your liking without having to lift the lid and allow the steam to escape.
Frequently asked questions
These pesto eggs are best served as soon as they are cooked. This way the yolks will be lightly runny and everything will be perfectly fresh. They take about as much time to make as a smoothie!
Traditional basil pesto works really well, but you can easily mix things up with other flavors like sun-dried tomato or red pepper. The choice is yours!
These make a great filling and well balanced breakfast with good amounts of protein, carbs and fiber. If you want to make a bigger breakfast, they are great to serve alongside chicken sausages, home fries and all your other breakfast favorites.
These pesto eggs are such an easy and delicious breakfast recipe! They are so quick to make at home and the pesto adds such a wonderful fresh flavor. You have to give these a go!
More egg recipes:
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Shakshuka with Feta
- Avocado Toast with Egg
- Low Carb Egg Wrap
- Vegetarian Egg Boat
- Savory Oatmeal with Egg
- Baked Eggs in Bread
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Pesto Eggs recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- 3 tablespoons pesto homemade or store-bought
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices toasted sourdough bread for serving
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese for serving
- Pinch of crushed red pepper for serving
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the pesto and allow it to spread and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and carefully add it to the skillet on top of the pesto. Repeat with the other egg and add it on the other side of the skillet.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook uninterrupted until the whites are set and the yolks are set to your liking, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Spread the ricotta cheese between the two slices of sourdough bread. Slide the eggs from the skillet onto the toast. Season with crushed red pepper and enjoy immediately.