This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It has so many names: Eggs in a basket, Eggs in a Hole, Egg and Toast Cups or Baked Eggs in Bread. There’s a fried version that you make on a skillet, and this is the hands-off baked version that you make in the oven. Call it what you want, but this is one of my favorite fun ways to enjoy eggs and bread. It’s easy to make, feeds a crowd and can be totally customizable with veggies and meats.
How do you make baked eggs in bread
Start with sliced bread, eggs, cheese, some type of herbs like parsley and finely chopped vegetables like peppers and onions. I show the vegetables as optional because it can be really hard to fit them in sometimes, depending on the size of the eggs and thickness of the bread.
Next, you can stuff the square bread into the muffin tin. But, I found it’s better to cut off the thick crust, then cut the bread into two equal triangles and flatten them out with a rolling pin. Don’t throw out the crust. You can cut use them to make bread pudding, or cut them up to make croutons for salad.
Now you want to overlap the bread slices and place in the muffin tin. Sprinkle some cheese and any veggies or meats you’re using, and carefully crack the eggs on top.
After baking in the oven, the egg whites will set and the yolk will remain very slightly runny. And the result is the cutest receptacle for eggs that is fun for kids and adults alike!
Tips for making baked eggs in bread
- Use sturdy white sandwich bread. As much as I love a good multigrain bread for breakfast, it’s best to use something with a sturdy soft and large surface area. That will give you the best case for making the toast cups that don’t fall apart in the oven.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten each bread slice. Trying to overlap the bread slices will prove to be difficult if you miss this step. Plus the flatter the bread slices are, the more you can stuff inside the toast cup, like cheese, veggies and meat.
- Remove any excess white for easy removal. Depending on the size of the eggs, some of the egg whites may run out of the muffin cup. If that happens, just use a paper towel to clean around the muffin cup. This will help it come out of the tin easily.
I love how easy these baked eggs in bread are to make and how cute they come out. All you need is eggs, bread, and a muffin tin to make it happen. And you’ll have the most adorable single-serving portions of eggs and cheese. Serve them with some vegetables, meat or simply on their own!
More egg recipes
- Vegetarian Egg Boat
- Easy Vegetable Frittata
- Avocado Toast with Egg
- Shakshuka with feta
- Low Carb Egg Wrap
- Baked Eggs in Avocado
- Pesto Egg Toast
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Baked Eggs in Bread recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Baked Eggs in Bread
- 6 slices bread
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Peppers chopped, optional
- Red onions chopped, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a muffin tin with olive oil spray.
- Cut crusts of sliced bread, then roll them out with a rolling pin until they’re flattened and thin. Lightly spray both sides of bread with olive oil. Cut each bread slice in half diagonally.
- With cut sides facing, place 2 bread halves in each of 6 muffin cups, making sure to cover bottom entirely and allowing bread corners to extend above rims.
- Place cheese in the bottom of each bread crevice along with onions and peppers, if desired. Then, carefully crack an egg on top. Season with salt and pepper and bake in the preheated oven until the egg whites are set, and not jiggly, about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the baked eggs from the muffin tin and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.