Cheesy Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Au Gratin
Here’s a new way to enjoy that oh-so-healthy cruciferous vegetable! My Cheesy Oven-Roasted Cauliflower Au Gratin is a healthy spin on the traditional potato au gratin, and we all know potatoes can be a big no-no for carb counters. Cauliflower still has carbs, but only about 140 a head versus 150 a potato. And since you only need one head for this whole recipe, carbs are a non-issue.
Cauliflower is one of the most undersung veggies, often overshadowed by its cousin broccoli. But cauliflower has a lot to offer the body with it’s high concentration of vitamin C, variety of B vitamins, folate, sulforaphane and antioxidants.
Let’s face it. Most kids love cheese. And unless your kids are vegetable lovers (every health-driven parent’s dream), it could be hard to sell cauliflower for dinner. But cauliflower baked perfectly with your favorite cheese melted all over — well you have yourself a winner. Pair up this dish with steak or seared lamb for a slam dunk, well-rounded meal!
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese (or any cheese)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toss cauliflower with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and 1 tbsp olive oil, spread on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until crispy
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil in small saucepan, add flour and mix until paste forms, then add milk and mix without letting it boil, then add cheese and salt/pepper to taste
- When cauliflower is done, pour into an oven-safe baking dish and pour the cheesy sauce over the cauliflower.
- Bake at 400F for additional 10 minutes and garnish with parsley.