This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We can all benefit sometimes from lowering our carbs and I love creating low carb recipes. This weekend’s edition – low-carb cauliflower waffles! The cool thing is it’s pretty easy to put a keto spin on some recipes by swapping out the high carb ingredient with cauliflower. I’ve done this with pizza and mashed potatoes. Now it’s time for waffles!
I’ve been learning a lot of about the Ketogenic (keto) diet lately because a lot of my readers are asking for keto friendly recipes. I don’t follow a keto diet myself, but I’ve seen it do wonders in shedding weight and improving the health of a lot of people, even close friends and families of mine. The premise of it is very low carb and high-fat, which is similar to the Atkins diet.
There are less than 3 grams of net carbs in an entire cup of cauliflower. So you can see why it’s such a popular low carb vegetable that can sometimes mimic your favorite high carb dishes. To me, I can always still taste the cauliflower which doesn’t really taste like bread, batter or potatoes. But, to me it makes the dish unique, and saving on the carbs and calories means you can add other items to the recipe, like eggs! Hooray for low carb waffles!
How to Make Cauliflower Waffles
To start, I create “riced” cauliflower. What I do is cut it into florets first and then place it in the food processor and pulse until it kinda looks like couscous. Can you see it? You can also buy riced cauliflower at most grocery stores now. So I totally recommend that shortcut.
Next it’s hammer time. I mean batter time! 2 cups of that grated cauliflower and a little lovin from some cheese, eggs and spices.
Depending on your waffle iron, these could take anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Mine took 6-7 minutes each. You want the batter to be completely cooked, golden in color and crispy. Thank you cheese!
When it’s all done, you can have these low carb waffles as is with ketchup or maple syrup…both equally amazing! I like to serve it with an egg on top for a full meal. This recipe makes 3 waffles and each one alone is only 3 grams of carbs and 9 grams of protein. Add on the egg and it’s breakfast of champs, baby!
If you make this healthy-ish feelgood Cauliflower waffles recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
For other low carb breakfast recipes
- 2 cups cauliflower grated
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Cut the cauliflower in half. Save half for another use, and cut the florets from the other half. Pulse the florets in a food processor until the cauliflower is minced and looks almost like rice or couscous.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a bowl, then add the cheese, eggs, flour, paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix together until well-blended.
- Spray the waffle maker with non-stick spray and add about one cup of the cauliflower mixture to the pre-heated waffle iron. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower waffle from the waffle iron and make the next waffle.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!