This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Start your day right with these low carb and gluten-free yogurt chaffles. Ready to enjoy in less than 10 minutes and made with just 5 ingredients. They are perfect for those busy mornings!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Cheese: You can use any kind of cheese, but melty kinds like cheddar and mozzarella work best. Freshly grated rather than pre-grated is preferable, but you can use pre-grated for ease.
- Egg: Use one large egg to bind the ingredients together.
- Almond flour: Almond flour gives the chaffles more substance, while keeping the recipe low carb and gluten-free.
- Baking powder: A little baking powder helps the chaffles to get nice and light and fluffy.
- Yogurt: Yogurt adds a great texture and a little moisture to balance the almond flour. It will help to keep you feeling full. You can use plain or greek yogurt.
How to make chaffles
- Add your ingredients for the yogurt chaffles to a large bowl.
- Whisk well to combine.
- Open waffle iron and grease if it it’s non-stick. Sprinkle cheese.
- Pour some of the batter into the waffle iron without overfilling it. Sprinkle more cheese if you’d like.
- Cook until the edges are crispy and the chaffels or golden brown.
- Use a spatula to remove and repeat with the remaining batter.
Tips for making the recipe
- Use room temperature eggs. They will combine easier with the other ingredients and will also rise more when cooked in your waffle maker.
- Preheat your waffle maker before adding the batter. This will help to produce nice crispy edges.
- Don’t open the waffle iron to check on doneness. You can quickly check at 3 minutes, but it’s best to err on the side of cooking them longer than to keep checking.
- Let your yogurt chaffles sit for a couple of minutes before serving. As they sit they will crisp up even more. It helps to let them sit on a wire rack.
Frequently asked questions
The mini waffle maker is perfect for making small individual chaffles. But you can easily double and triple the recipe to make this in a larger size waffle maker.
Yes! These yogurt chaffles are great for breakfast meal prep. They will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be reheated in a toaster oven or under the broiler to crisp them back up.
They will also freeze well for up to a month. If frozen, they should be thawed in the fridge overnight before reheating.
You can enjoy the chaffles with savory toppings like avocados, tomatoes or yogurt and scallions. You can also absolutely enjoy them with sweet toppings like fresh berries and whipped cream too.
I love how quick and easy these yogurt chaffles are to make, and they are so perfect for those busy mornings or post workout fuel. They are loaded with protein and will give you the energy you need to face the day.
More breakfast recipes:
- Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Vegan French Toast
- Baked Blueberry Oatmeal
- Smoothie Bowls
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Yogurt Chaffles recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 1 egg
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons shredded cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon plain full fat yogurt
- Place the egg, ½ cup shredded cheese, almond flour, baking powder and yogurt in a medium size bowl. Whisk to combine until well blended.
- Heat a mini or regular waffle iron and grease if needed. Sprinkle shredded cheese into the waffle iron. Add ⅓ of the batter (about 2 heaping tablespoons) and add another sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
- Close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the chaffles are golden and crisp.
- Enjoy on their own or with toppings like avocados, tomatoes or yogurt and scallions.