This Potato Cauliflower Casserole is the BEST side dish made with cheesy layers of potatoes and cauliflower that pairs well with steak or chicken!
This high-energy casserole takes two of nature’s finest veggies and mixes them up with none other than gooey cheesy deliciousness! It’s a potato cauliflower casserole that’s sure to dress up any meal! Pair the Potato Cauliflower Casserole up with a steak, chicken or even fish for a well-rounded and definitely worthy-of-your-dinner-rotation side dish.
What ingredients to you need
Potatoes are considered complex carbs which reads: good and healthy for you. Complex carbs give you long-lasting energy instead of the rush followed by a crash that simple carbs (white pastas, rice, sugars) deliver.
And cauliflower, one of the most undersung vegetables in the garden, is a cruciferous veggie chock full of vital nutrients like choline (important neurotransmitter for nerve and muscle function), biotin (otherwise known as Vitamin B7 which helps out your metabolism), folate, vitamin C, vitamin K and many other nutrients crucial for total body health. I guess you could call cauliflower a superfood!
Finally, I use sharp cheddar, but feel free to add whatever cheese makes your family oooh and ahhh.
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Potato Cauliflower Casserole recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
More low carb cauliflower recipes:
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- Cauliflower Waffles
Potato Cauliflower Casserole
- 5-6 red potatoes peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves fresh or dried
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees and grease an 8 x 8 oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes for 15 minutes and cauliflower for 10 minutes, so they are both crisp tender
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower and set aside
- On the bottom of the greased baking dish, layer half the potatoes and cauliflower, then half the thyme, drizzle with half the olive oil (about 1 tablespoon), and half the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Then, add a second layer the remaining potatoes and cauliflower, remaining thyme, remaining olive oil, remaining cheese and season again with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the vegetable broth on top of the potato cauliflower layers
- Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes until cheese is golden & bubbly
- Serve as a side dish with any main item.