This easy to prep hummus crusted chicken is great for an easy weeknight meal. Get perfectly juicy every single time!
Leftover hummus has a new use – Hummus Crusted Chicken! Ok, I know there’s probably no such thing as leftover hummus because there’s so many ways to spread it, dip it and top it. But if you happen to have some leftover or want to try baking chicken with a new twist, you have to try it with hummus! It gives it a nice crust and the outside and keeps the chicken juicy.
Baking chicken in the oven doesn’t have to yield dry results anymore. Adding the hummus on top makes it moist while adding a ton of flavor, along with protein and fiber. It’s a quick and healthy recipe that’s perfect for quick weeknight dinners.
We eat a lot of hummus in our house, Hummus Crusted Chicken recipe is a quick, healthy recipe that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. Serve it with a side of rice, throw it in a wrap or pita or serve it over a bed of greens.
How do you make hummus crusted chicken
You only need three ingredients:
- Hummus: I like to use my favorite hummus recipe for this chicken, I always have some to hand! You can also use a store bought hummus for ease and convenience.
- Chicken: Use boneless and skinless breasts for this recipe. If you can, buy free range / organic and make sure the pieces are similar in thickness as much as possible so they bake evenly.
- Spices: Ground cumin, paprika and a little salt and pepper adds the most wonderful flavor to the cooked chicken and gives it a Mediterranean flavor.
Season the breasts with salt and pepper. Mix the spices with the hummus and rub it all over the chicken. Bake the chicken until it is cooked through and serve.
Tips for making hummus crusted chicken
- Remove any excess moisture from the chicken breasts. Lightly pat them with a paper towel; this helps to promote browning and crispiness.
- Use a meat thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked through. It should register at 160F and it will help you not to over cook or undercook the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. This will help it to get nice and juicy before you cut into it. It allows the juices to redistribute, so be a little patient, it will be worth it!
- Use parchment paper for easy clean-up. Spreading the seasoned hummus all over the chicken is not a mess-free process but the parchment baking sheet makes it a little easier to clean up.
Frequently asked questions
This hummus chicken is a great quick and easy weeknight meal. It works well with so many different sides, salads, veggies and potatoes. Try it with:
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Classic Caesar Salad
Garlic Roasted Potatoes
The chicken is best served when it is freshly cooked, but you can prep the chicken breasts and keep them covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours before you are ready to cook them. If you have leftovers, they will keep in an airtight container for 3 days. You can reheat the chicken in the oven or slice it cold and add it to salads.
You absolutely can adapt this recipe to use chicken thighs! You may need to bake them for slightly longer depending on the size and cut. The internal temperature will be slightly higher at 165F.
I love how quick and easy it is to add so much flavor to this chicken with the help of hummus! It’s perfect for a quick and easy family meal, and while it is baking, you can quickly make a side salad to accompany it. If you are in a dinner rut, be sure to give this a go!
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Grilled Chicken Gyro
- Chicken Kafta
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Hummus Crusted Chicken recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Hummus Crusted chicken
- 4 6 ounces chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup hummus
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray an oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray
- Pat chicken breast dry and season with salt and pepper. Combine the hummus and spices together and then rub it evenly all over the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Place the hummus crusted chicken in the prepared baking dish, and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until thermometer reads 160° F internal temperature. Then broil it for 1-2 minutes, watching it carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley and serve with a side of couscous and veggies, if desired