It's so easy to make your own Greek chicken gyros at home! Full of flavor the simple marinated chicken is perfect for easy family lunches and main meals.
This homemade grilled chicken gyro recipe is so easy to make with just a handful of ingredients. These Greek gyros make for a wonderful lunch or main dish, and they are loaded with flavor. Make them on an indoor or outdoor grill with all the fixings and drizzled with lots of tzatziki sauce!
It’s so easy to make chicken gyros at home, and I especially love to enjoy them as the weather starts to get warmer. Piled into a pita and served with Tzatziki and fresh veggies, they are such a delight! Even better, they take no time at all to make and with simple ingredients, they really couldn’t be any easier.
Chicken gyro marinade
The marinade is surprisingly pretty simple with lots of different variations between recipes. For my chicken gyro marinade, I stick with Mediterranean flavors and include olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. It’s basic but it works perfectly! The chicken will need to marinate for at least 30 minutes before you grill it.
Pat dry the chicken and pound it to flatten it. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl, add the chicken to it, cover and let rest in the fridge.
How do you make grilled chicken gyros
Preheat your indoor or out door grill, and make sure it’s hot and ready before adding the chicken. If you’re working with an indoor grill pan, you’ll need to work in batches so you don’t crowd the chicken. Cook the chicken on both sides until cooked through.
Make sure to allow the chicken to rest before slicing it. This helps to redistribute the juices back into the chicken to make sure they are extra tender and juicy.
And now you’re ready to serve the grilled chicken gyros in a pita (I used a naan bread below based on availability) with fresh vegetables and tzatziki sauce, if desired.
Tips for making chicken gyros
- Pound the chicken for even thickness. This is always a great idea when you’re grilling chicken so that you ensure everything cooks evenly and finishes at the same time without any stragglers.
- Marinate the chicken breasts for at least 30 minutes to allow it to take on the flavors. You can marinate the chicken for up to 2 hours. When marinating the chicken, keep it covered in the fridge, not at room temperature.
- Before placing the chicken on the grill, let it come to room temperature. This will help it to be nice and tender once it is cooked. Be sure to pre heat the grill too before adding the chicken.
- Use a meat thermometer for perfectly grilled chicken gyros. Take the guess work out of when the chicken is ready, undercooked and it can be unsafe to eat and over cooked it can become dry and tough. Cooked chicken should register at 165ºF.
Frequently asked questions
Do you serve gyros warm or cold?
I like to serve these gyros warm. I let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then serve it in the (warmed!) pita freshly sliced. I find them so juicy and tender like this. You can keep the grilled chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 days and enjoy it cold.
How else do you serve the chicken gyros?
This chicken is perfect served in pita, sandwiches and burgers, but it’s also a great way to add extra protein to a salad. Try it on my Classic Caesar Salad or Turmeric Rice Salad for some awesome meal prep lunches.
What is the chicken marinated in?
The marinade for these Greek gyros is really simple. Lemon, olive oil, oregano and salt and pepper is all you need! It’s fresh and zingy and takes minutes to make.
More chicken recipes
- Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup
- Lemon Chicken Piccata
- One Pot Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Meatballs with Marinara
These grilled chicken gyros are a real family favorite; my kids love them and I also like to serve them for cookouts. They are super fresh, super easy and most importantly, super tasty!
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Grilled Chicken Gyro recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then please come back to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Grilled Chicken Gyro
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon zest
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 garlic cloves pressed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pat chicken dry and pound chicken if some parts are too thick. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl or resealable freezer bag. Add chicken and toss well to combine. Marinate for at least 30 minute
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Place chicken on the grill for 5-7 minutes. Use tongs to flip over and cook until juices run dry, approximately 5-7 more minutes. Discard extra marinade.
- Remove chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Serve in a pita with vegetables and tzatziki sauce, if desired.