This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Have you heard of Cottage Cheese Ice Cream yet? It’s all the rage, and for good reason! This high-protein dessert (or breakfast) takes cottage cheese and some of your favorite toppings and combines them until smooth and creamy, a mock ice cream, if you will. I’m sharing three different flavor options, banana cream pie, strawberry cheesecake, and chocolate peanut butter – Yum! It’s a frozen snack that’s totally worth making, and it starts with just 2 ingredients!
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love this healthy cottage cheese ice cream
- Ingredients for ice cream made with cottage cheese
- How to make cottage cheese ice cream
- Tips for making healthy cottage cheese ice cream
- Popular substitutions & additions
- Topping ideas
- How to store cottage cheese ice cream
- Frequently asked questions
- More frozen treat recipes:
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
This cottage cheese ice cream is a healthy way to get your fix while upping your daily protein intake. Not to mention cottage cheese on its own can be pretty bland, and you may be wondering how you take something with a cheese-like flavor and make it into a delicious dessert. That’s where the toppings come in! You can achieve a cheesecake-like flavor by blending fruit into it, like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Follow the fruit by folding in crushed graham crackers, or add other sweet additions, like chocolate chips.
Why you’ll love this healthy cottage cheese ice cream
- Packed full of protein. This recipe started to trend because, well… it’s cottage cheese, blended and then frozen, which means it’s out of the box as an ice cream base, but that’s not the only reason – it packs a serious punch of protein. We’re talking about 12 grams per serving, and this is for a dessert/snack!
- Easy to make. It’s simply just blending cottage cheese with a sweetener and fruit (if desired), folding in any toppings, and freezing for a few hours.
- The flavor possibilities are endless. I’m covering three of my favorite flavors, but this just scratches the surface of how many flavor combinations you can make. Start with the cottage cheese ice cream base and start experimenting!
- It’s more than a dessert. As the recipe only calls for cottage cheese and optional extras, you can enjoy it as a quick, high-protein snack or even a refreshing breakfast. Who would have thought of having ice cream for breakfast? Begin with the simple base and layer it with granola and freshly cut fruit to make parfait-style healthy ice cream breakfast. If you have kids, they will think you’ve gone crazy, and that it’s a special day when you hand them a bowl for breakfast.
Ingredients for ice cream made with cottage cheese
- Cottage cheese: I recommend using whole milk cottage cheese. The fat ratio results in a much creamier consistency compared to lower-fat cottage cheese. Low fat cottage cheese has more water content which may affect the texture and flavor.
- Honey: Honey adds a subtle sweetness that helps to carry the add-ins without being too sweet. You could also use maple syrup or another liquid sweetener.
How to make cottage cheese ice cream
The first step to making cottage cheese ice cream is to choose your equipment. A high-speed blender works great, but you could also use an immersion blender or food processor. Then choose your add-ins!
Strawberry cheesecake Cottage Cheese ice cream
- Add the cottage cheese to a blender or food processor with honey and strawberries. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Blend until the cottage cheese is smooth and creamy, then add extra strawberry chunks (optional) and crumble in graham crackers. Gently fold them in until well combined. For something a little extra special, you can make a strawberry sauce to swirl into it, too.
- Transfer your cottage cheese ice cream with strawberries to a freezer container and freeze for a few hours.
- When ready to enjoy your frozen treat, remove from the freezer and enjoy!
PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Make a plain base for the ice cream by adding cottage cheese and honey to your high-speed blender.
- Blend until you have the cottage cheese smooth with no milk curds remaining. Add the peanut and chocolate chips, folding until just combined. You’ll get a nice peanut butter swirl throughout the whipped cottage cheese.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container with a lid and store it in the freezer.
- Once frozen, it’s ready to enjoy!
Banana cream pie Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Add banana, honey, vanilla, and cottage cheese to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until there are no chunks of banana or cheese curds remaining.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for a few hours.
- The cottage cheese ice cream should be frozen through.
Tips for making healthy cottage cheese ice cream
- Use full-fat cottage cheese. Whole milk cottage cheese contains more fat, adding richness and creaminess to the ice cream. It also has a higher protein content than reduced-fat or fat-free cottage cheese, making it an excellent option for those seeking to increase their protein intake.
- Blend in some ingredients. Depending on the flavor you’re making, you may enjoy some of the ingredients being mixed into the base for a flavored cottage cheese ice cream with chunks of additional topping folded in before freezing.
- Rest on the counter before scooping. Because cottage cheese can become icy when frozen, you’ll want to take the chill off from the freezer. You’ll get a cleaner, smoother scoop that tastes more like ice cream. Depending on how deep your container is, this can take up to 30 minutes sometimes.
- Stir occasionally. To make sure that your cottage cheese ice cream doesn’t get icy, once you’ve placed it in the freezer, give it a good fold every 30 minutes. Cottage cheese has a good amount of water, so once you freeze it, that water will also freeze. Keep it creamy with this quick step.
- Think of chilling instead of freezing. I found the best consistency is when I chill the cottage cheese ice cream so that it’s thick and cold instead of freezing it completely. That way it’s more creamy and less icy.
Popular substitutions & additions
- Add extracts. You can instantly enhance the flavor of your blended cream cheese ice cream with a few drops of your favorite aromatics. Vanilla, almond, and mint are great starter extracts to try. Start with less than a teaspoon and add in a little more if needed.
- Use any fruit. Fresh or frozen fruits will both work. You can add mango, kiwi, and berries. Some fruit may have more juice than others, and you may need to adjust the fruit-to-cottage cheese ratio to get the desired consistency.
- Fold in nuts. Chopped walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and pecans will add a tasty crunch to your ice cream recipe.
- Use dates instead of honey. Dates can be blended into the base to sweeten the cream or chopped and folded in for a chewy texture addition.
- Make it more decadent. Try folding in chunks of brownies or cookie crumbles. Why not take it over the top of an extra delicious dessert?
- Chocolate granola, candied walnuts
- Whipped cream or cashew cream
- Strawberry topping, Nutella, almond butter, strawberry chia jam
How to store cottage cheese ice cream
Allow your cottage cheese ice cream to freeze for about 4 hours before diving in for the best texture. After that, you can store your ice cream in an airtight container.
Ice Cream Storage Containers
Having the right containers for storing your homemade ice cream will ensure you get the best results everytime. These airtight freezer-safe containers keep flavors fresh, textures intact, and freezer burn at bay. They’re also stackable and transparent for easy organization.
- Zwilling Fresh & Save Food Storage – This exclusive Fresh & Save technology is designed to preserve flavors and prevent freezer burn. With the help of a small handheld vacuum sealer, it shuts tightly and keeps your food super fresh for up to 5 times longer than non-vacuum storage methods.
- Glass Storage Containers – These containers and their lids are made with sturdy glass, providing clear visibility, while the silicone rims create airtight and leak-proof seals. They are also versatile and safe to use in the oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher.
- Tritan Plastic Storage Containers with Snap Lids – These food containers are made of strong plastic with secure latches to prevent spills. They’re crystal-clear, stain and odor-resistant, with built-in vents and stackable design. Safe for freezer and dishwasher use. Ideal for any household.
How long will whipped cottage cheese last in the freezer?
You will get the best flavor and texture when enjoying your ice cream within a week, but you can freeze cottage cheese ice cream for up to 1-2 months.
Frequently asked questions
Cottage cheese ice cream before add in’s offer about 12 grams of protein per serving. You can easily increase the amount depending on what you add in, such as nut butter or another ingredient with a good amount of protein.
Yes! If you have a frozen container of cottage cheese you’ve been saving and you don’t want it to go to waste, you can for sure make ice cream with it. I would let it thaw for 30ish minutes at room temperature so you aren’t trying to blend a hunk of ice.
Most vegan cottage cheese recipes are made with tofu, I am not sure how it would turn out. You can always try it, maybe ¼ cup of vegan cottage cheese with a tablespoon or two of maple syrup, to see how it turns out. If you try it, let me know if it worked!
If you made it this far and you are still on the fence, trust me, just try it! While it doesn’t taste exactly like ice cream, it is delicious. To quote Corey B, this cottage cheese ice cream might look “Ben and Scary,” but it’s really quite extraordinary!
More frozen treat recipes:
- Banana Nice Cream – 4 Ways
- Fresh Fruit Frozen Popsicles
- Frozen Yogurt Bark
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
- Almond Joy Ice Cream
- Cappuccino Nice Cream
- Creamy Avocado Ice Cream
- No Churn Ice Cream
- Mason Jar Ice Cream
If you try this feel good Cottage Cheese Ice Cream recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- 15 ounces whole milk cottage cheese
- ¼ cup honey
Peanut Butter Chocolate
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup crushed graham crackers
Banana Cream Pie
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the cottage cheese, honey, and any other ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor and blend until it’s silky smooth.
- Fold in the topping ingredients of your choice.
- Transfer the mixture into one or multiple freezer-safe containers of choice and freeze for at least 3-4 hours. Allow to thaw for 15 minutes before scooping.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.