One-Pot Chicken Rice and Vegetables
You know that one healthy dish you make for your kids that you know they’ll eat up quickly without complaining? Yup, this One-Pot Chicken Rice and Vegetables is it for my kids.
It’s a well balanced meal that includes protein, vegetables and carbs with simple flavors for little palettes and it’s all made in one pot for easy cooking and even easier clean-up! I always make 2 cup of this recipe because the leftovers are lifesavers. I usually have this with a huge salad while my kids eat it on its own, but it’s a perfect healthy meal either way.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup frozen non-gmo corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups long-grain Basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- In a dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the olive oil and cook the garlic for 1 minute, then add the onions and saute until the onions are soft and golden (about 5 minutes)
- Add the cubed chicken and oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sautee with the cooked garlic and onions until chicken is completely cooked through and lightly golden.
- Add the vegetables and mix with the chicken, then add the rice to the pot, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken broth, and mix all the ingredients together. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes, until rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese to give the dish some creaminess (or you can leave this part out). Sprinkle with fresh parsley before you serve, if you desire