The shelves at the grocery stores at stacked with so much squash, and roasting it in the oven until it’s bubbly and caramelized just gives me the warm fuzzies when eating a salad, which can sometimes get boring without enough pizzazz. Enter this Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad.
This salad is as easy as tossing together roasted squash, massaged kale, quinoa, feta cheese and pomegranate. The most time consuming part would be cutting up the butternut squash. But when it’s warm, caramelized and tender, it really adds something special to this quinoa salad
Look at this beauty! It’s rich with colors, flavors and nutrition and it’s a total winner for Thanksgiving dinner. Let’s be honest, it’ll probably be the healthiest thing on the table that night, but at least you can feel good that your healthy contribution is also beautiful and amazingly delicious!
The other benefit of this salad is that it holds up really well the next day, unlike other salads with spinach or lettuce which might wilt. The kale will suck up all that moisture and won’t get soggy for at least 2-3 days. I hope you make one of the three salads for your Thanksgiving meal. Realistically, healthy is not the main focus of the event, but it can be the main focus of this modern foodie-approved butternut squash quinoa salad.
For more fall salads:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Butternut Squash Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
For the Salad
- 1/2 large butternut squash the wider part
- 1 Tbps olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 bunch kale destemmed, cut, washed dried (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
For the Dressing
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pomegrante molasses
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F degrees, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using the bottom half of the butternut squash, cut it in half again, then scoop out all of the seeds and pulp out of the cavities and discard. Peel the butternut squash skin and thinly slice.
- Spread the butternut squash onto the baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil on top. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread the squash into an even layer, being careful not to overcrowd them. Roast for 30-40 minutes until they start to soften and caramelize on the bottom.
- To prepare the quinoa, add 1 cup of water on top of quinoa along with salt to taste in a small pot.
- Bring to simmer over medium-heat and then reduce heat low, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, until the quinoa is fluffy and all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the salad dressing ingredients together. Add the chopped kale on top of the dressing, and massage the dressing into the kale.
- When the butternut squash is roasted, add it to the kale in the bowl, then top with quinoa and feta cheese and lightly toss. Transfer to a serving dish and then sprinkle pomegranate on top immediately before serving.