Butternut Squash Pomegranate Quinoa SaladJump To Recipe
- Serves: 4 servings
This Butternut Squash Pomegranate Quinoa Salad is a seasonal recipe that is perfect for holiday gatherings - it's bursting with color, flavor and nutrition!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Butternut Squash Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
Are you having salad deja vu? Are you thinking I remember seeing this salad before? Well, it’s probably because it’s super similar to my Butternut Squash Winter Salad and my Butternut Squash Pomegranate Spinach Salad. So basically, this girl loves roasted butternut squash salads when the weather is cold…so typical I know! But the shelves at the grocery stores at stacked with so much squash, and roasting it in the oven until it’s bubbly and caramelized just gives me the warm fuzzies when eating a salad, which can sometimes get boring without enough pizzazz. I said pizzazz guys, not pizza! Although butternut squash on pizza is sounding so good right now.
Look at this beauty! It’s rich with colors, flavors and nutrition and it’s a total winner for Thanksgiving dinner. Let’s be honest, it’ll probably be the healthiest thing on the table that night, but at least you can feel good that your healthy contribution is also beautiful and amazingly delicious! The other benefit of this salad is that it holds up really well the next day, unlike other salads with spinach or lettuce which might wilt. The kale will suck up all that moisture and won’t get soggy for at least 2-3 days. I hope you make one of the three salads for your Thanksgiving meal. Realistically, healthy is not the main focus of the event, but it can be the main focus of this modern foodie-approved butternut squash pomegranate quinoa salad.
Peace out, butternut squash pomegranate quinoa salad, until next winter when I will most likely make another butternut squash salad! Haha!
- 1/2 large butternut squash the wider part
- 1 Tbps olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 bunch kale destemmed, cut, washed dried (about 4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pomegrante molasses
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F degrees, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using the bottom half of the butternut squash, cut it in half again, then scoop out all of the seeds and pulp out of the cavities and discard. Peel the butternut squash skin and thinly slice.
- Spread the butternut squash onto the baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil on top. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread the squash into an even layer, being careful not to overcrowd them. Roast for 30-40 minutes until they start to soften and caramelize on the bottom.
- To prepare the quinoa, add 1 cup of water on top of quinoa along with salt to taste in a small pot.
- Bring to simmer over medium-heat and then reduce heat low, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, until the quinoa is fluffy and all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the salad dressing ingredients together. Add the chopped kale on top of the dressing, and massage the dressing into the kale.
- When the butternut squash is roasted, add it to the kale in the bowl, then top with quinoa and feta cheese and lightly toss. Transfer to a serving dish and then sprinkle pomegranate on top immediately before serving.