This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Brussel Sprout Caesar Salad is a modern twist on classic caesar salad made with shaved Brussel sprouts instead of romaine lettuce. It’s still topped with crunchy salty homemade croutons along with shaved parmesan cheese and an easy tangy dressing. It’s a fun variation you can make if you want to skip the lettuce!
Brussel Sprout Salad is a popular salad during the fall and winter months when leafy greens are not very much in season. And if you’re looking for warmer Brussel sprout recipe, you have to check out Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts.
Ingredients & substitutions:
- Fresh brussel sprouts: This replaces lettuce to make the salad more seasonal for fall and winter. Make sure to shave them thinly so they are easier to chew.
- Bread: Use crusty day-old bread like sourdough or french baguette or even sliced white bread.
- Parmesan cheese: In the spirit of this caesar inspired salad, parmesan cheese is a must. But you can skip the cheese or use other varieties.
- Caesar dressing ingredients: You’ll need olive oil, mayo, dijon mustard, Worcester sauce and fresh garlic.
recipe video TUTORIAL
How to make brussel sprout salad
Make the dressing
- Throw all the dressing ingredients in small food processor or blender.
- Blend it until it’s super smooth and creamy. You can also skip the blending and keep it roughly chopped and chunky, especially if you want a stronger garlic flavor.
Make the croutons
- Cut up the bread into small chunks and season with salt and pepper and cook on a skillet.
- Fry them with olive oil until they’re golden and crunchy on the outside. If you’d rather bake them in the oven, try this technique for making homemade croutons.
Assemble the Brussel sprout salad
To prepare the Brussel sprouts, trim the ends, cut them in half lengthwise and then thinly slice with a sharp knife. It’s a little tedious, but oddly therapeutic. You can also buy shaved brussel sprouts and save yourself the food chopping therapy or grab these tips for shredding brussel sprouts with a knife.
So you have the thinly sliced Brussel sprouts, the dressing the croutons, along with some good aged parmesan cheese. Now it’s just about assembling it all together and devouring it!
Tips to make the salad
- Cut the sprouts as thinly as you can. A mandolin is great for this, or carefully use a sharp knife. You can also use a slicing attachment on a food processor.
- Remove the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. This can be tougher to eat and less tender, so peel them off before slicing them.
- Keep the salad covered in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. The sliced Brussels sprouts won’t wilt like other greens, so leftovers keep well or make it ahead of time.
- Add other ingredients. This simple salad recipe is easy to adapt to your tastes. Add in other salad veggies like cucumbers or bell peppers, or make it a fuller meal by adding in some cooked shredded chicken.
Frequently Asked Questions
The salad will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. You can also make the croutons a week ahead of time and the salad dressing will keep well for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
You can easily make this salad meat-free by using a rennet free parmesan and a vegan Worcestershire sauce.
This is a delicious side salad that’s great with meat, seafood, chicken and vegetarian and vegan dishes. Try it with:
Baked Chicken Breast
Vegan Tomato Pasta
Hope you enjoy this salad. It has all the right elements with the light and delicate sprouts, crunchy croutons, tangy dressing and sharp Parmesan cheese to pull it all together. Add some chicken to make it an entree salad, or just enjoy it as is!
For More Salads:
- Tomato Avocado Cucumber Salad
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Asian Chicken Salad
- Shrimp Avocado Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
f you try this healthy-ish feel good Brussel Sprout Salad recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Brussel Sprout Salad
- 1 pound fresh brussel sprouts
- 1/4 cup Caesar dressing see below
- 6-8 slices sourdough bread or other crusty bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup avocado mayonnaise dairy-free
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- To prepare the brussel sprouts, you can use a mandolin to thinly slice them, or you can cut them in half lengthwise and then hold by stem end and cut very thin slices. Toss with your hands or tongs in a bowl to separate the leaves.
- To make the salad dressing, whisk the ingredients together in a bowl until well incorporated. I also like to use my mini blender which blends the garlic well.
- To make the croutons, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the cubed bread, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, and fry in the pan until golden brown and crunchy. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad, divide brussel sprout into bowls, top with dressing, croutons and shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Really great salad. One fun add might be slices of avocado. Nice way to rethink a classic.
Thank you! I love the sound of that!!
Thanks for making my dinner last night so successful. My friends loved the salad so much that they insisted that I share with them my secret: feelgoodfoodie! Can’t thank you enough!
That’s so awesome! Glad to hear you liked it so much! 🙂
Delicate & light Brussels sprout, crunchy croutons and tangy dressing: A good variety for salad. Thanks for all your salad recipes