This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Air fryer fish and Chips recipe is a healthier way to enjoy one of your favorite restaurant meals. Made in minutes, this crispy cod is coated with panko and cooked in the air fryer for perfectly cooked fish without the need for deep frying. Such a great family weeknight meal.
I just know that you are going to love this air fryer fish recipe! It’s so quick and easy without the mess or calories, and it’s hands down delicious! Serve it up with Oven Baked French Fries or Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries and tartar sauce for a delicious weeknight meal.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Fish: We use cod fillet in this recipe. We cut it into strips before coating in breadcrumbs and cooking in the air fryer. You can make this with recipe with other white fish.
- Flour: We use all purpose flour, but you can use a 1:1 gluten-free flour if you have an intolerance.
- Seasonings: Paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Egg: The cod strips are dipped in egg to allow the breadcrumbs to stick.
- Breadcrumbs: To get super crispy fried fish, we use panko breadcrumbs. You can make this with regular breadcrumbs, but they won’t come out as crispy. You can swap for gluten-free if you have an intolerance.
How to make air fryer fish
Set up your dredging station with three bowls with the flour mixture, egg and panko breadcrumbs. I like to add paprika, garlic powder and salt and pepper to the flour. You can also just season the fish first on its own.
Pat the fish dry with a paper towel, and then one by one dip them in the flour, egg and then breadcrumbs, and place on a baking sheet.
Spray both sides with oil and then cook in the air fryer.
Check that the fish is cooked to your liking by testing with a fork to see if it flakes easily. You can return the fish for another 1 or 2 minutes if you need to.
Tips for making COD in the air fryer
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. The fish strips shouldn’t be touching, so cook them in two batches if needed.
- Remove as much moisture from the fish before breading it. Dab the fish with absorbent kitchen towel to get rid of any excess moisture. If the fish is too wet, it can steam, meaning that your breadcrumb coating could end up soggy rather than crispy.
- Pre heat your air fryer. This means that the temperature and air flows will be at the right level when you cook the fish. If you don’t pre heat it can cook your food unevenly.
- Make sure that the cod is cooked through. Depending on the thickness of your fillets, they may take slighter longer, or quicker, to cook through. Use a fork to test the thickest piece, the flesh should easily flake.
Frequently asked questions
Cooked seafood will keep safely in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. You can reheat the fish for serving in a pre heated air fryer for around 3 to 4 minutes and it will stay wonderfully crispy.
It’s best not to use still frozen fish in this recipe as the breadcrumb coating will not stick and the frozen fish will contain a lot of water. You can still use frozen fish, just make sure to let it thaw in the fridge overnight and be sure to remove as much excess water as you can.
The crispy fish will take about 10 – 12 minutes in the air fryer, depending on the thickness of your fillets and the model of air fryer you are using. Check the fish for doneness after 10 minutes and cook for another couple of minutes if needed.
I love that this air fryer fish comes out so wonderfully crispy without the need for deep frying. It’s so quick and easy to make. Serve it alongside some steamed veggies for a well balanced family meal.
More fish recipes:
- Honey Lemon Salmon
- Sheet Pan Cod
- Salmon Burgers
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Coleslaw
- Grilled Mahi Mahi with Avocado Salsa
More air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Breaded Air Fryer Chicken
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Air Fryer Fish recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Air Fryer Fish & Chips
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Place the beaten egg in another bowl and the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Pat the fish dry using a paper towel. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, then the egg and finally the panko breadcrumbs, pressing down lightly until the crumbs stick. Spray both sides with oil.
- Air fry at 400°F, turning halfway through until crispy and lightly golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Open basket and check for desired doneness with a fork to see if it flakes off easily. You can return the fish for another 1 or 2 minutes, if necessary.
- Serve immediately with fries and tartar sauce, if desired.