Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice
We’ve all tried the burrito bowls from Chipotle by now, and there’s just something so delicious and comforting about them. While I think Chipotle holds its own in being relatively healthy for a fast food company, I always, like always dude, opt to re-make stuff at home with more fresh ingredients and being mindful of the nutritional content. This Mexican-style Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice is loaded with mixed greens, beans, corn, tomatoes, pan-seared chicken, Greek Yogurt and out-of-this-world homemade guacamole! I mean look at tall those beautiful colors.
This burrito bowl is totally customizable, so you can make it your own. Don’t like red onions? Don’t use them. Have store-bought avocado? Throw it on there. Want to use brown-rice instead? Do it. Wanna try it with shrimp instead of chicken? I strongly encourage it! Bottom line is, you just need a burrito bowl in your life asap one way or another.
- ½ cup long grain rice
- ¾ cup water
- 2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 small ripe green tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of half lime
- 1 tbsp red onions, minced
- ¼ jalapeno pepper, minced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, marinated in taco seasoning (I used SpiceologistRaspberry Chipotle) and olive oil and pan-fried
- About 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 oz black beans
- 2 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- Red onions minced, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Jalapeno pepper, sliced for garnish
- Wash the rice under cold water for a few minutes until the water runs clear.
- Heat the butter in a small sauce pan, then add the cilantro and the rice to the mixture and stir to blend for a minute. Add the boiling water to the small sauce pan, then let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. When the water is dried and the rice is soft, add the lime juice and stir the rice to blend everything together.
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork to your desired consistency.
- Add the green tomatoes, mined garlic, cilantro, lime juice, red onions, jalapeno, cumin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and mix again until all the flavors are well blended.
- In medium size bowls, divide everything in half and layer in the bowls, starting with the mixed greens. Then, add the black beans, corn, cooked rice, tomatoes, pan-seared chicken, guacamole and Greek yogurt.
- Garnish with red onions, fresh cilantro and jalapeno, if you desire
- Enjoy cold or warm!