This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Liven up your weeknight chicken dinners with this delicious grilled dijon chicken recipe. Marinated in a dijon mustard sauce, this recipe can be made with breasts or thighs, for a simple but tasty meal that the whole family will love. And if you have picky eaters, no one can really taste the mustard!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Chicken breast: Use skinless boneless chicken breast and try to pound the difference pieces so they are relatively the same thickness.
- Dijon mustard: If you don’t like dijon mustard you could skip it all together and just use lemon or lime juice. However, the taste is subtle and distinctive so it’s worth a try!
- Olive oil: Oil helps to hold the flavor of the dijon mustard on to the surface of the chicken. It also helps to to cook evenly and brown when you grill it. Use olive oil for best flavor, but avocado oil would also work well.
- Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic for the best flavor. The small your cut it, the stronger and more distributed the flavor will be.
- Salt & pepper: For seasoning. Feel free to add other spices like thyme or oregano, but simplicity works well here!
How to make grilled dijon chicken
- Coat the chicken breasts in the marinade and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Place the marinated chicken on to a hot grill pan, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Brown on both sides until cooked through.
Tips for making the recipe
- Make this recipe with chicken thighs. Just be aware that they will take slightly longer to cook through. The best way to check that your chicken is thoroughly cooked is by using an instant read thermometer, it should register at 165F.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours. This will really allow the flavor of the mustard to develop and will help the chicken to become tender. Marinate the chicken in a non-metallic dish, covered with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.
- Cut the chicken in half widthwise or pound them to flatten them slightly if they are very thick. This will help the chicken to cook through faster.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving. Resting allows the juices in the chicken to redistribute so you don’t end up with dry breasts.
Frequently asked questions
The cooked dijon chicken will keep well, covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can slice the cold chicken and serve it on top of salads or in wraps or sandwiches. To reheat the chicken, place in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake at 325°F for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.
The grill marks on this chicken are so appetizing, and it’s also quicker to cook this way, but you can also bake it it the oven if you prefer. Bake the dijon marinated chicken breasts in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes until cooked through.
It’s so easy to take your weeknight meals from okay to wow with this grilled dijon chicken. It’s so flavorful and you’ll love how simple and quick it is and how well it pairs with anything and everything.
More chicken recipes:
- Pickle Chicken Tenders
- Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Butter Chicken
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Quinoa Bowl
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Dijon Grilled Chicken recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Dijon Grilled Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the marinade by whisking the olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken breast into the bowl and toss to combine and evenly coat the chicken with the marinade. Refrigerate and let marinate for 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Place chicken on the grill for 5-7 minutes. Flip over and cook until golden brown and the juices run dry, approximately 5-7 more minutes.
- Remove chicken from the grill. Sprinkle with parsley and serve as desired.