This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Smoky Grilled Cod with a Delicious Garlic Paprika Seasoning. Cod is a delicious white fish that is perfect for grilling. In this recipe, we will season the cod with a simple mixture of garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. This seasoning gives the cod a remarkable flavor that pairs perfectly with the smoky taste of grilled fish.
Cod is not the most common fish to grill since it’s soft and flaky. However, with the proper technique, it can actually be perfectly cooked on the grill without falling apart. If you are looking for an easy and tasty grilled cod recipe, this is the one for you!
why you’ll love this BBQ Cod
- Full of flavor. Cod is a mild fish, so it takes on the flavors of the grill and seasonings very well. Making it an excellent choice for more complicated seasonings and marinades.
- Quick and easy to make. This recipe can be made in under 20 minutes, making it perfect for a weeknight meal.
- Grilled cod is a healthy option. Cod is a lean protein that is packed with nutrients. It’s also low in calories and fat, making it a great choice for those trying to change their diet.
- Kid-friendly fish. Due to its mild flavor, cod is a fish that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy.
Ingredients to make grilled cod
- Cod fillets: You can use fresh or frozen cod for this recipe. If using frozen, make sure to thaw the cod completely before grilling. Check for any bones and remove the skin if necessary.
- Olive oil: Helps the seasoning adhere to the fish and creates those gorgeous and delicious grill marks we all love.
- Spices: Garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. You can adjust the amounts of each spice to your liking. I like my cod to have a bit of a kick, so I tend to use more paprika and garlic powder.
How to make grilled cod
Prepping your cod for the grill is key to ensuring that it cooks evenly and doesn’t stick. I like to start by patting my cod fillets dry with a paper towel. This helps to remove any excess moisture that can make the fish stick to the grill.
Dry & Season Cod
- Pat the cod dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle it with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Then rub it with olive oil.
- Place cod onto the preheated grill.
- Use a spatula to carefully lift the cod off the grill. If it feels sticky, allow it 1-2 more minutes until it releases easily.
Tips for cooking cod on the grill
- Wipe the grill grate multiple times with oil. I use a paper towel dipped in oil with tongs to wipe the grill grates usually. And when it comes to fish, I add a couple of extra coats because it helps to build a barrier between the grill and the delicate fish so that it doesn’t stick or fall apart.
- Use a fish basket. If you are worried about the cod sticking to the grill or falling apart, then I would recommend using a fish basket. It’s an easy way to cook delicate fish on the grill without any issues.
- Do not overcrowd the grill. This will lead to uneven cooking and make it harder to flip the cod without tearing it.
- Only flip the cod once. Flipping the fish multiple times will lead to it falling apart. So, be patient and only flip it once halfway through cooking.
popular substitutions & additions
- Switch up the seasoning. If you are not a fan of paprika or garlic, then feel free to use any other seasonings that you love. Some other great options include, lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, 7-Spice or even just salt and pepper.
- Add some veggies. Grilling is the perfect time to sneak in some extra vegetables. I like to add a few lemon slices, onion wedges, or even some zucchini and squash.
- Make it a meal. Serve the grilled cod with some roasted potatoes and a side salad for a complete and healthy meal.
- Use a different fish. You can grill just about any type of fish using this recipe. Some other great options include, salmon, tilapia, or even shrimp.
what to serve with your grilled cod
how to store & reheat grilled cod
This grilled cod is best served fresh off the grill. However, if you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Leftover grilled cod can be reheated in a 350-degree oven until warmed through, about 15 minutes. Alternatively, it can be reheated in the microwave, but it’s likely to become rubbery.
how long will grilled cod last in the fridge?
Properly stored, grilled cod will last for three to four days in the refrigerator.
can i freeze grilled cod?
Yes! Grilled cod can be frozen for up to three months. I like to wrap each fillet individually in plastic wrap and then place them all in a freezer-safe bag. When ready to eat, thaw the fish overnight in the fridge and then reheat it according to the instructions above.
Frequently asked questions
Cod is cooked through when it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to use a digital meat thermometer to check the temperature of the fish.
Yes! If you don’t have access to an outdoor grill, you can cook the cod in a grill pan on the stove.
The key to keeping cod from sticking to the grill is to make sure that the grates are well oiled, and the cod is dry. I also like to use a fish basket to make flipping and removing the fish from the grill easier.
Cod is a leaner fish than salmon, but they are both packed with healthy Omega-three fatty acids.
Grilled cod is a delicious, healthy, and easy meal to make. And this recipe with a simple garlic paprika seasoning is the perfect way to enjoy it. So, fire up the grill and give it a try!
I hope you enjoyed this grilled cod recipe. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.
More cod recipes:
- Oven Baked Cod
- Lemon Parsley Baked Cod
- Tomato Poached Fish
- Air Fryer Fish & Chips
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Coleslaw
If you try this feel good Grilled Cod recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- Pat the cod dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle it with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder, then rub it with the olive oil. Leave at room temperature while preheating the grill.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Coat grill grates with olive oil.
- Place cod onto the preheated grill. Grill for 4 minutes, then use a spatula to carefully lift the cod off the grill. If it feels sticky, allow it 1-2 more minutes until it releases easily. Flip the cod and cook until the cod starts to flake and reaches internal temperature of 130°F, about 2-4 more minutes. Use a spatula to carefully remove the cod off the grill.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with fresh parsley and lemon wedges, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.