This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Learn how to grill zucchini and turn what can be a slightly bland vegetable into a savory summer sensation. It’s a simple and easy side dish to make during the summer and serve next to grilled chicken or grilled shrimp!
This gardener’s favorite is a versatile vegetable that goes perfectly with so many mains. And it’s loaded with so many vitamins, plus folate, and manganese and copper.
How to grill zucchini
- Trim the stem end off the zucchini and slice lengthwise into long, thin strips.
- Put the zucchini slices in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. You can add other seasoning as well like oregano and garlic powder, but it’s not really necessary.
- Use your hands to toss the zucchini gently to coat with oil and seasonings
- Lay the slices in a single layer on the grill grates perpendicular to the bars and cook with the lid closed .
- Flip the slices to the other side, close the lid again and cook until the zucchini is fork tender.
Tips for Cooking Zucchini on the grill
- Make your zucchini slices of uniform thickness. This helps to ensure even cooking so all the zucchini is cooked properly together.
- Thoroughly clean the grill grates. You want to make sure to avoid unwanted flavor transfers.
- Don’t skip the oil. It helps keep the zucchini moist and prevent it from sticking to the grates.
- Consider also lightly oiling the grates for extra protection against sticking. Hold a small piece of wadded-up paper towel in a pair of tongs, dip into some oil and grease the clean grates.
recipes to use with grilled zucchini
- Mediterranean Grilled Zucchini Salad
- Zucchini with Goat Cheese and Pine Nuts
- Grilled Zucchini Casserole
- Grilled Zucchini Roll Ups
Frequently asked questions
Zucchini is one of those mild veggies that takes well to a variety of herbs and flavors. Try it with a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes, thyme, dill, parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, sumac, or basil.
Like all grilled foods, these are best fresh off the grill, but will last about 3 days tightly covered in the fridge.
No, the skin is thin and edible and helps it stay together on the grill.
Summer is the perfect time to switch things up and cook some garden-fresh veggies on the grill instead of in the oven or stove-top. Try this grilled zucchini recipe next time you’re firing up the grill.
More cooking tutorials:
- How to Cook Artichokes
- How to Cook Couscous
- How to Cook Quinoa
- How to Cook Rice
- How to Cook Brown Rice
- How to Cook Pasta
If you’ve found this cooking resource for How to Grill Zucchini helpful or if you’ve tried any recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of trying out this tutorial and we would love to hear about your experience. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
How to Grill Zucchini
- 3 zucchinis sliced lengthwise into ¾ thick planks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the zucchini slices in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss the zucchini gently.
- Place the zucchini in a single layer on the grill grates perpendicular to the bars, and cook with the lid closed, for 3 minutes. Flip the zucchini to the other side and cook with the lid closed, until the zucchini is fork tender, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and chopped parsley, if desired.