This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This delicious chicken and mushroom dinner is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes, perfect when you are short on time after a busy day. Made with simple ingredients and all cooked in one pan, its a tasty and quick family dinner.
How to make chicken and mushroom
- Season the chicken and coat in flour.
- Cook the chicken on both sides in a hot skillet until browned and cooked through; remove from the pan and set aside tented or in the microwave to stay warm.
- Cook the mushrooms with thyme and olive oil until browned and soft.
- Add the broth and cook with the mushrooms until reduced.
- Return the chicken back to the pan with the mushrooms, spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with parsley.
Tips for cooking chicken with mushrooms
- Use chicken breasts that have a similar thickness so that they cook evenly. You can cut large chicken breasts in half or use a meat mallet to flatten them if needed.
- Don’t move the chicken while cooking it. If it doesn’t move, wait a little until you flip it because it should self release when cooked. Constantly flipping the chicken won’t get the crust nice and brown. You should only flip it once.
- Don’t overcook the chicken so that it doesn’t become tough. If you have an instant read thermometer, it should register at 160F.
- Mix up your mushrooms. I used button mushrooms for this recipe, but cremini, portobello or any others will work well and really help flavor the chicken. I like to cut them into slices, but you could also dice them.
Frequently asked questions
This is a super quick recipe that is best served as soon as it is ready so that the chicken stays nice and juicy. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and can be reheated in a skillet or in the oven until the chicken is warmed through.
Make this recipe gluten free by using a 1:1 GF flour or arrowroot powder like I did with my chicken piccata recipe. You could also use another gluten free flour such as almond flour or cassava flour.
You can serve up this sautéed chicken and mushrooms with rice, cauliflower rice or a side of veggies. Try it with:
Oven Roasted Carrots
Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
More chicken recipes:
- Spatchcock Chicken
- Cilantro Chicken
- Oven Fried Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Taco Cups
- Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Coconut Curry Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken
- Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Sautéed Chicken and Mushroom recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Sautéed Chicken with Mushrooms
- 4 6 ounces chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound button mushrooms trimmed and quartered
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then coat with flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. In batches, cook chicken until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent loosely with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add thyme, mushrooms, and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and cook until softened, 6 minutes.
- Add broth and cook, stirring, until reduced by half, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return chicken to pan along with any accumulated juices; top with parsley.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
The taste was marvelous! It was easy to make, though it took me longer than I thought. I used fresh thyme. I really enjoyed it. I will definitely make it again.
So happy to hear that you liked it, Janet! Depending on the thickness of your chicken, it can take a little more time to cook.
I love your recipes
Thank you so much! I appreciate you making my recipes 🙂
Love this receipe it came out so good. I making the vegan meatballs tonight they came out so good as well. So glad that I found your webiste and instagram. You have such easy reciepes to follow. I love the new website and HAPPY EID to you and your family
Thank you so much! Excited to hear what you think about the other recipes too! Yay!!
Is that a rice or pasta with that? What is the recipe for that
It is rice! You can serve up this sautéed chicken and mushrooms with rice, cauliflower rice or a side of veggies. You can search “How to Cook Rice” or “How to Cook Brown Rice” on my website for directions.
I just tried this! It turned out perfect and it’s super easy. Thank you Yumna 🙂
So glad to hear it! Thank you!!