This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
When you’re looking for something sweet but don’t want to commit to an entire pan of cake, you have to try this Birthday Mug Cake recipe. It’s made with very basic pantry items and you only have to dirty one mug – the one you’ll eat from!
This is such a great treat if you want to treat yourself, treat a special someone or teach your kids how to make it so they can surprise you on your birthday. The latter is my plan and I’m optimistic for this year with my kids being older! If you love the idea of making food in a mug, be sure to check out my Pasta in a Mug!
How do you make a mug cake
- Grease a mug with cooking spray. Measure all the ingredients and place them directly into the mug.
- Use a small fork or whisk to blend the ingredients together until you don’t see any more lumps.
- Microwave for 90 seconds on high. Then remove from the microwave and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Tips for making mug cake
- Use a mug wide enough for about double the batter. When cooked in the microwave, the batter will expand almost double the size, so make sure the mug is large enough for the expansion.
- Use a mug with straight sides if possible. I love a fun wide mug which is what I use here, but straight sides will help the mug cake bake evenly all around. Since this is a vegan mug cake, we don’t have an issue with eating raw eggs if anything is under cooked!
- Place a plate or paper towel under your mug if its not large enough. There might be some overflow happening, if you only have a small mug, so this trick will help keep the microwave clean.
- Test your microwave strength to determine the best time. It can range from 1 to 1 ½ minutes, but I found the ideal time for mine was 1 ½ minutes. Keep in mind that wider mugs will cook faster than taller mugs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because these cakes only takes minutes to make, they are easy to whip up whenever you want! If you do have leftovers, you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you don’t have an oven. don’t fret, you can still make these delicious cakes! Whisk the ingredients together in bowl and pour it into a greased oven proof ramekin. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 350F.
This cake is pretty perfect as is, but if you want to add some toppings to make it extra special, I won’t stand in your way! Chocolate shavings, some whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar will all work well.
What a fun treat to make a cake in a mug in just a couple minutes! I love enjoying this in the evening sometimes when I don’t want to make a mess and don’t need to feed the whole family a large cake. The sprinkles make the mug cake extra fun for a birthday or any other celebration!
P.S. Today is MY birthday!! 🙂
More desserts to try
- Nutella Mugcake
- Almond Joy Cookies
- Vegan Zucchini Brownies
- Cream Cheese Vanilla Cupcakes
- Cinnamon Coffee Crumb Cake
- Chocolate Covered Bananas
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Birthday Mug Cake recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Birthday Mug Cake
- Grease a mug large enough to hold double the ingredients (about 12 ounces).
- Place all the ingredients in the greased mug and only half the sprinkles. Whisk to combine until there are no lumps. Add the remaining half sprinkles on top.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 1 – 1 ½ minutes or until the cake is done to your preference.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.