A lot of you asked me on Instagram how I made my Tuna Avocado Salad Pita Pocket because the tuna didn’t look like “regular” tuna. And you were right! It’s not regular heavy and greasy tuna because I don’t use traditional mayo. I prefer this lighter, healthier, zestier version where the sauce is made with only lime, olive oil, hot sauce, salt and pepper. A quick, satisfying and healthy lunch for the whole fam. Delish!
Throw in some avocado for potassium, some spinach for folic acid and fiber, and red onion for polyphenols (one of the largest groups of phytonutrients in food). And tuna is a fantastic source of selenium, B vitamins and protein. Tuna gets a bad rep sometimes, but just remember this: albacore tuna packs in 3x the omega-3s as its light tuna counterpart. But, because albacore tuna comes from a bigger fish the mercury content can be higher. How to deal? Balance! Trade off between the two so you can keep tuna and health in your life.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1/2 can albacore tuna mixed
- Juice of half lime
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole grain pita pocket
- 1 slice Cheddar cheese cut in half
- 1/4 avocado cubed
- Red onion slices
- Cherry tomatoes
- Baby spinach
- In a small bowl, mix the tuna chunks with the lime, olive oil, hot sauce and salt/pepper
- Scoop the tuna into two halves of the pita pocket,
- Add the cheese, avocado, red onions, tomatoes and spinach.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!