This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Growing up in Africa, we ate pizza, sure. But pizza with pineapple? What kind of weird combination is that, I mistakenly presumed? But it was no weird combination, as many of you will attest >> Pineapple is actually quite tasty on pizza! Combine the tangy pineapple with some sweet and savory barbecue sauce, and you’ve actually got a winning combination.
This Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza was made popular by California Pizza Kitchen, as one of their most ordered pizzas. I personally used to always order the Tostada pizza…anyone else?! Anyways, I digress with daydreams of my high school weekends going to California Pizza Kitchen at the mall with my sisters.
I don’t think this Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza is actually still on their menu, but so many copycat recipe versions came out influenced by the restaurant that’s it’s become a thing. It’s so easy to throw together. You can use any BBQ sauce of your choice (or totally make your own), some cooked chicken (with that BBQ sauce), chunks of pineapple, some red onions to give it a little kick and loads of cheese.
I means load it up for realz! You can easily split this pizza between four people, or you may just find yourself eating half the pizza…oopsy!!
More pizza recipes:
- Grilled Pizza
- Cast Iron Pizza
- Pizza Quinoa Bites
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Broccoli Pizza Crust
- Naan Pizza
- Yogurt Pizza/Flatbread
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot starch optional
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce divided
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cut pineapple cubes
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and set pizza dough outside to rise.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, and cook the chicken on medium heat until fully cooked.
- Then sprinkle arrowroot starch on the chicken and pour half the BBQ sauce over the chicken. The arrowroot starch helps the BBQ sauce stick properly to the chicken.
- Set parchment paper on a pizza tray and sprinkle flour on the parchment paper. Spread the pizza dough on parchment paper into desired shape.
- Brush the dough with the other half of the BBQ sauce and the crushed garlic. Top with the Gouda cheese, chicken, pineapple and onions. Then top with the Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden and cheese has melted.
- Slice and enjoy fresh from the oven with cilantro or parsley, if you desire.