This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Craving pizza but don’t want the same old toppings? Why not try BBQ chicken pizza? This variation features grilled chicken breast, smoked gouda, and onions layered on top of pizza crust with bbq sauce. It’s a delicious and easy way to change up your usual pizza routine!
Making pizza at home has never been easier; with pre-made pizza dough being readily available at most major grocery stores experimenting with toppings is half the fun! This BBQ chicken pizza is packed with flavor, from the tangy bbq sauce to the rich-smokey gouda. Every bite offers a new taste sensation. Not to mention, it’s a great way to use up any leftover grilled chicken you might have! So next time you’re in the mood for pizza, think outside the box and give this BBQ chicken pizza a try.
why you’ll love this barbecue chicken pizza
- Something different. Don’t get me wrong; we love a good traditional tomato sauce pizza as much as the next person. But sometimes, you just need something different to break up the monotony. This barbecue chicken pizza does just that!
- It’s easy to make. We all know that making pizza from scratch can be a bit of an undertaking (but totally worth it if you have the time!). This recipe uses pre-made pizza dough and store-bought barbecue sauce to make things a little easier.
- You can use leftovers. Don’t have any chicken on hand? No problem! You could easily substitute ground beef or even turkey. And if you happen to have some grilled chicken leftover from dinner the night before, this is a great way to use it up!
- It’s packed with flavor. The combination of barbecue sauce, chicken, and smoked gouda is a match made in heaven. The result is a pizza that’s slightly sweet, slightly smoky, and totally delicious.
Ingredients to make bbq chicken pizza
- Pizza dough: You want to find good quality pizza dough for this recipe. I like to use the pre-made dough that I get from a local pizza shop, but you can find it in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. But feel free to make your own if you prefer!
- Barbecue sauce: You can use any brand of barbecue sauce that you like. Just make sure it’s a flavor that you enjoy, as it will be the dominant flavor in this pizza.
- Chicken: I like to use grilled chicken breast for this recipe, but you could also use rotisserie chicken or even canned chicken.
- Smoked gouda: This cheese is so good it should be illegal. Its rich and smokey flavor pairs perfectly with the barbecue sauce and grilled chicken.
- Mozzarella cheese: This is a classic pizza cheese and helps to balance out the strong flavors of the barbecue sauce and smoked gouda.
- Onion: I like to use red onion for this recipe, but you could also use white or yellow onion. The sweetness of the onions pairs nicely with the barbecue sauce.
- Cilantro: This is totally optional, but I love the freshness that it adds to the pizza.
- Flour: You’ll only need a little flour for dusting your work surface.
How to make homemade bbq chicken pizza
- Stretch or roll the dough ball into a 9-inch circle and transfer it to a prepared baking sheet.
- Spread each dough circle with barbecue sauce, leaving a ½-inch rim around the edge.
- Top with the chopped chicken.
- Followed by the mozzarella and Gouda cheese.
- Scatter the sliced red onion across the top of each.
- Bake the pizzas until they are browned, and crispy around the edges and the cheese is bubbling in the center.
Tips for making this bbq chicken pizza recipe
- Get your pizza dough from a pizzeria. Small, locally owned pizzerias will often sell pizza dough balls by the pound, and this dough is usually much better than what you can buy in a grocery store! A good pizza is all about good pizza crust, so try to find the best dough that you can.
- Choose your favorite BBQ sauce. Nothing magical is going to transform your sauce when the pizzas are baking, so make sure you choose a sauce that you love the taste of straight out of the bottle!
- Add flour to the pan to ensure no sticking. The flour helps to create a barrier between the dough and pan so that it’s easy to remove the chicken pizza when it’s done cooking.
- Rotate your baking sheets for the most even cooking. Most ovens don’t heat evenly, so to get the most even bake on your pizzas, rotate the baking sheets between the top and bottom racks and turn them 180°F after they’ve been baking for 10 minutes.
popular substitutions & additions
- Add pineapple. When I first shared this recipe a few years ago, the original post showed the pizza with chunks of pineapple on it. Since then, my family prefers it without pineapple, but it still makes for a great addition if you’re team pineapple on pizza!
- Make it with tortillas or flatbread. If you don’t have pizza dough, you can use store-bought tortillas or flatbreads as a substitute. Just be aware that the baking time will be shorter since they’re thinner than pizza dough.
- Try other cheeses. If you’re not a fan of smoked gouda, you could try substituting cheddar cheese or even pepper jack.
- Add other toppings. If you want to add some more veggies to this pizza, try adding mushrooms, bell peppers, or even jalapeños!x
how to store & reheat bbq chicken pizza
Leftover pizza can be kept in the fridge. Just store it in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
This chicken pizza is best served hot, so I recommend reheating it in a 350°F oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You could also reheat it in the microwave, but be aware that the crust will not be as crispy.
how long will bbq pizza last in the fridge?
You can expect your bbq pizza to last in the fridge for about three days. After that, the crust will start to get soggy, and the flavor won’t be as fresh.
can i freeze bbq chicken pizza?
Yes! Just store it in a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag, and it will last for up to three months. When you’re ready to eat it, just reheat it straight from the freezer in a 350°F oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Frequently asked questions
If your pizza dough is not cooked through, the dough may be too thick. Try rolling it out thinner next time. If that doesn’t work, try cooking the pizza dough for a few minutes before adding the toppings.
Sure! Just roll out the dough thinner than usual and bake it for a little less time.
Any kind! Just choose your favorite. Keep in mind that if you go with a sweeter sauce, the pizza will be sweeter as well.
This grilled BBQ chicken pizza recipe is perfect for summertime. It’s easy to make, and you can customize it with your favorite toppings. The best part is that it reheats well, so you can enjoy it all week long! Don’t forget to come back and let me know how you liked it. I hope you enjoy!
More pizza recipes:
- Grilled Pizza
- Cast Iron Pizza
- Pizza Quinoa Bites
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Broccoli Pizza Crust
- Homemade Flatbread
- Yogurt Pizza/Flatbread
- Upside Down Pizza
- Sheet Pan Pizza
- Eggplant Pizza
If you try this feel good BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe was originally published on April 12, 2017. The recipe has been slightly modified to remove the pineapple and reference to the recipe as Hawaiian since my family enjoyed this better without the pineapples. Feel free to still add the pineapples if you prefer!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Set the pizza dough out for 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and dust two baking sheets with flour.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Divide the pizza dough into two smaller dough balls. Stretch or roll each dough ball into a 9-inch circle and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Spread each dough circle with ¼ cup barbecue sauce, leaving a ½-inch rim around the edge. Top each with the chopped chicken, then the mozzarella cheese, and Gouda cheese. Scatter the sliced red onion across the top of each.
- Bake the pizzas until they are browned and crispy around the edges and the cheese is bubbling in the center, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and sprinkle each chopped cilantro.
- Slice each pizza into 6 pieces and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.