This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Simple to make, this easy eggplant pizza recipe is a healthier way to enjoy one of your favorite foods. All the flavor but lower in carbs and calories, this vegetarian dish is loaded with the good stuff!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Eggplant: Use a large globe eggplant for this recipe. Slice it into rounds and bake before adding the toppings. Check out my step by step instructions on how to cut an eggplant.
- Oil: For cooking. We lke to use olive oil, but canola or vegetable will work well.
- Cheese: Use a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella. The parmesan adds a great flavor and the mozzarella will give you those delicious cheese pulls.
- Mushrooms: Baby bella mushrooms are roasted before topping the eggplant pizza crust. Other small sliced mushroom will work well.
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite store bought pizza sauce to top the eggplant. You ca also use marinara sauce for a different flavor.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh basil.
How to make eggplant pizza
- Slice the eggplant into rounds, salt and then wipe off excess moisture.
- Bake the eggplant rounds.
- Add the pizza sauce and toppings to the eggplant.
- Bake until the cheese melts.
Tips for making eggplant pizza
- Look for the largest eggplant you can find. That’s because we are slicing the eggplant into circles to mimic a small round pizza. The large the eggplant, the easier it is to work with and the better the presentation!
- Don’t skip sweating the eggplant. This process of adding salt to the sliced eggplant draws out the moisture from the vegetable so that it doesn’t get soggy when your roast it in the oven.
- Don’t load the eggplant pizzas with too many toppings. Yes, it’s supposed to mimic pizza, but remember it’s a thinly sliced vegetable that can only hold so much before breaking.
- Make it your own! You can easily adapt this recipe to suit your own and your families taste. Add on different pizza toppings like diced bell peppers, pineapple, cooked shredded chicken or even a little ground beef.
Frequently asked questions
We like to serve these up as a tasty dinner with favorite sides and they are perfect for a lunch. You can easily serve these up as an appetizer too with some fresh salad.
Once made, these mini eggplant pizzas will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat them in the oven on a baking sheet at 400F for 3 to 5 minutes to warm through.
We prefer not to peel the eggplant, the skin helps to hold the pizza bites together and stops them from falling apart when you pick them up. Plus the skin contains a lot of vitamins and nutrients!
Get all that pizza flavor in a healthier way with these eggplant pizza bites. Easy to make and fun to serve, it’s a great way of getting som extra veggies on to your family’s plates! If you enjoyed this vegetable pizza idea, you might also enjoy my Portobello Mushroom Pizzas!
More Eggplant Recipes:
- Eggplant Chickpea Stew
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- Stuffed Eggplant
- Eggplant Moussaka
- Eggplant Lasagna
- Eggplant Pasta Casserole
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Eggplant Pizza recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- 1 large globe eggplant cut into ½ inch rounds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¾ cup baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 8-10 tablespoons pizza sauce
- Crushed red pepper for garnish
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Place the eggplant rounds on a baking sheet. Generously salt the slices and leave them to “sweat” for 20 minutes, then wipe them off with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush slices with 2 tablespoons oil and season with black pepper. Bake until softened and slightly golden brown, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange mushrooms on a sheet pan and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake until golden brown, 30 minutes.
- Remove eggplant slices from the oven and pour about 2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture onto each one. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan on each eggplant slice and top with roasted mushrooms.
- Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, 5 minutes. Garnish with crushed red pepper, fresh basil, and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Easy yummy healthy .. i made it in the air fryer..
Thank you for the amazing recipes!! Much love
I love that! You’re so welcome!
Can’t wait to try this LOOKS WONDERFUL THANKS
So excited for you to give it a try! You’re so welcome!
Delicious. Great pizza taste, but less fattening and more nutritious!
Yumna’s easy to try recipes are great to go on any day. They are simple and nutritious. I tried her eggplant pizza recipe and it came out so well. She inspires me always… Loads of love all the way from India ❤️.
I love that! Thank you!!
These are truly the tastiest eggplants I’ve ever eaten. Thanks for your wonderful recipes ^^
That’s amazing to hear! You’re so welcome!