This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Mix up your pizza nights with this fun and easy upside down pizza recipe! This vegetarian pizza is cooked in a cast iron skillet and baked in the oven, for an effortless dinner that the whole family will love!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Pizza dough: For ease and convenience, a store bought chilled pizza dough works great for this recipe. Use a gluten-free dough if you have an intolerance, or, make your own pizza dough.
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite rich and tomatoey store bought pizza sauce. Marinara sauce will also work well.
- Shredded cheese: Low moisture shredded mozzarella works best for this recipe. You can also use shredded cheddar.
- Olive oil: To evenly cook the veggies, as well as helping the pizza crust to get a delicious golden brown. You can also use canola or vegetable oil.
- Toppings: Mushrooms, green bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, onions, basil, parmesan, dried oregano and red pepper flakes.
How to make upside down pizza
- Brush the cast iron skillet with oil and add the mushrooms.
- Add the rest of the chopped veggies and season.
- Add the shredded cheese on top of the vegetables
- Top with the pizza sauce, keeping the edges dry.
- Place the rolled out pizza dough over the top, using your hands to tuck the edges under the toppings.
- Bake until golden brown.
Tips for making the pizza
- Grease the cast iron skillet well. This helps to ensure that the vegetables layered on the bottom will release easily from the pan. You can also use parchment paper to make it easier to release the pizza.
- Don’t worry if it looks messy. When you flip the pizza, it generally won’t resemble the neat layers of a regular pizza. But all the flavor is baked in there. Just use plenty of garnish to dress it up after baking.
- Try it in a pan. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can make this in a baking dish or pan. Just make sure it’s rimmed and deep enough to hold the topping, cheese, sauce and dough.
- Make sure your oven is fully preheated. As with all pizzas, the best results are when they are baked in a hot oven. The heat helps to get the pizza dough nice and crispy.
Frequently asked questions
As with all pizzas, this is best enjoyed as soon as you’ve made it, though leftovers will keep well in the fridge for a couple of days. You can reheat it in the oven at 400F for 5 to 10 minutes to crisp it back up.
It’s so easy to make this pizza just to your tastes by mixing up the toppings. Pineapple, cooked shredded chicken or sweet corn are all perfect additions. Don’t add too many watery toppings as the steam won’t be able to escape and can make your dough soggy.
This pizza is great served just by itself, but you can easily make it more of a feast by serving it with some of your favorite sides and sauces. Try it with:
Lebanese Garlic Sauce
Baked French Fries
This Tik Tok inspired upside down pizza is a great way to add some variety to your usual pizza night. So fun and easy to make, this is one recipe that the whole family will love!
More pizza ideas to try:
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Upside Down Pizza recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Upside Down Pizza is our Featured Cooking Challenge for September 2021.
Upside Down Pizza
- ½ pound pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup sliced green peppers
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper plus more for serving
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- Fresh basil for serving
- Grated parmesan for serving
- Allow store-bought dough to rise at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil on the cast iron skillet. Layer the ingredients in the cast iron skillet, starting with the mushrooms, then green peppers, followed by tomatoes and onions. Season with oregano, crushed red pepper and salt.
- Add the shredded cheese and spread the pizza sauce over the cheese, keeping the edges dry as much as possible.
- Roll the pizza dough ball into a 12-inch round and gently place on top of the pizza sauce in the cast iron skillet.
- Use your hands to tuck the pizza dough around the edges of the pan to seal in the sauce and the pizza toppings. Brush the remaining olive oil on top of the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Then place a cutting board or large plate over the cast iron skillet and flip over onto the cutting board. Add additional parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper and fresh basil and slice into 6-8 pieces.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
When frozen pizza saves time, try re-topping your favorite variety before inverting a 2nd pizza on top of the first. Will need more oven time.
It worked great stuffing 2 pizzas with pineapple, chicken and extra sauce & cheese.
Hmm, sounds like a fun way to switch it up!
This is DELICIOUS! Everyone loved it! We weren’t sure how we were going to flip it, but it came right out. So much flavor! We’ll definitely be making this again!
Thank you so much! That makes me so happy to hear!
I Follow you since 2015 i have tried many of your easy and delicious recipes.I love your energy and definitely i am gonna try this upside down pizza 😉🥰 Keep going you nail it ❤️
Aww, thank you!! So excited for you to give it a go!
DELICIOUS , easy and fun to make! The whole family love it so much that I had to make it again. Toppings got stuck to the cast iron, but I just scraped it back to the pizza, no body noticed it and it was “so good”.
Thank you so much! I love that.
Excited to try this!🍕 What kind of flour do you use for your pizza dough? You mentioned ‘00’? Is it King Arthur ‘All Purpose’ bleached/unbleached or Bread flour?
Yay! I use the Unbleached King Arthur All Purpose Flour (https://amzn.to/3DWrL4G).
See All Comments