This Broccoli Pizza is a gluten-free and low carb healthy alternative to traditional pizza dough. It's similar to cauliflower pizza and totally customizable
This broccoli crust pizza is low carb, gluten-free and a tasty alternative when you are craving a doughy pizza! This vegetable pizza crust is low in calories and easy to make. Top it with all of your usual favorites! It’s a great addition to pizza night!
It’s 48 days into my new year’s resolutions and I’m craving pizzzzzza! I’m always craving pizza actually. It’s that dough and cheese combo that I cannot resist. But I always want to resist those carbs that go straight to my thighs and erase all my hard work at the gym. So lately I’ve been testing some low-carb options and this Broccoli Pizza is the latest craze!
I made a cauliflower crust pizza once and it was so perfect I thought I’d use another cruciferous vegetables and venture with this broccoli pizza. I never imagined that a vegetable like broccoli mixed with some cheese and eggs could actually create something that looks like pizza crust. Ok, it’s green I know, but the consistency of it still looks and feels like pizza crust.
Is broccoli pizza crust healthy?
A homemade broccoli pizza crust is a great option when you are craving pizza, still delicious and tasty but much better for you and your waistline! As well as being low in calories and carbs, it’s a great way of sneaking some extra veggies into your diet.
Broccoli is such an amazing vegetable to incorporate into your diet – it’s one of the most nutritious vegetables you can eat! It’s a rich source of vitamins K and C and a good source of folate, potassium and fiber.
How to make broccoli crust pizza
The first part is so steam the broccoli, grate it in a food processor and then use a cheese cloth to squeeze out all the excess water. I will need to show a photo of this soon, but the video below demonstrates it really well. Then I mix that broccoli with eggs and cheese and spread it out into a round flat shape like this:
Next, I pop that in the oven. And the cool thing is the broccoli pizza stays green after baking, so it’s super fun for kids (and adults)!
Once you bake the broccoli pizza it becomes like any pizza crust. Well, it doesn’t actually taste like dough from flour, but it becomes a comparable base which you can top with your heart’s delight of toppings galore.
Top tips to make Broccoli Crust Pizza
- Squeeze out as much water as you can from the broccoli.
- Cook the ‘dough’ in a pre heated oven for best results.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper for easy removal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does broccoli pizza crust taste good?
I totally devoured this pizza, and I’m happy to announce that it’s also kid-friendly! It’s not pizza dough, but it is a really great alternative that honestly, is super tasty!
What toppings should I put on a broccoli pizza crust?
I kept the toppings on this pizza fairly straight forward; mozzarella, tomatoes, mushrooms, parmesan, but feel free to use your favorite toppings! Pepperoni, pineapple, chicken, bacon – there are no restrictions when it comes to topping this broccoli crust, just be aware that it may up the calories!
How many calories in this low carb, gluten-free pizza?
I made two versions, one with extra marinara and tomatoes and another one extra cheesy and both are about 80 calories a slice. You just can’t beat that with regular pizza. And I’m usually not just craving one slice of pizza but more like 3-4, and with broccoli crust pizza that’s totally OK!
Can you make the broccoli pizza crust ahead of time?
You can make the crust 2-3 days ahead of time and store it covered in the fridge. You can also freeze the crust for up to 3 months so make a batch for easy to grab meals! Use a large ziplock bag to store the crusts and seperate the with parchment.
For more healthier pizza recipes, try these:
I love that it is so easy to make a gluten-free, low carb pizza crust! It takes less than half an hour from start to finish – way quicker than waiting for that takeout to be delivered! It’s a really tasty alternative that you can enjoy guilt free, and the whole family will love it!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Broccoli Pizza Crust recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Broccoli Pizza Crust
- 1 large head of broccoli chopped & steamed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara
- Handful cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- Fresh basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with oil; set aside.
- Place the steamed broccoli in the food processor and pulse until it's finely grated. You can also use a cheese grater. Transfer the broccoli to a cheese cloth and squeeze out all the water in order to ensure the broccoli is dry.
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl, add the eggs, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix with a spoon or your hands until all the ingredients are well blended and a dough forms.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet, and shape into a round pizza crust, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake the dough in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and add the marinara, remaining cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy, about 10 more minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes before cutting.