Gluten-Free Broccoli Crust PizzaJump To Recipe
- Serves: 6 slices
This Broccoli Crust Pizza is a gluten-free and low carb healthy alternative to traditional pizza that's made with flour. It is very similar to cauliflower pizza crust in the method used, and it's totally customizable to your liking so you can add any sauce and toppings you'd like!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Gluten-Free Broccoli Crust Pizza
It’s 48 days into my new year’s resolutions and I’m craving pizzzzzza! I’m always craving pizza actually. It’s that dough and cheese combo that I cannot resist. But I always want to resist those carbs that go straight to my thighs and erase all my hard work at the gym. So lately I’ve been testing some low-carb options. I made a cauliflower crust pizza once and it was so perfect I thought I’d use another cruciferous vegetables and venture with this broccoli crust pizza. I never imagined that a vegetable like broccoli mixed with some cheese and eggs could actually create something that looks like pizza crust. Ok, it’s green I know, but the consistency of it still looks and feels like pizza crust.
And the cool thing is the broccoli crust pizza stays green after baking, so it’s super fun for kids (and adults)!
Once you bake the broccoli crust pizza it becomes like any pizza crust. Well, it doesn’t actually taste like dough from flour, but it becomes a comparable base which you can top with your heart’s delight of toppings galore. I made two versions, one with extra marinara and tomatoes and another one extra cheesy and both are about 80 calories a slice. You just can’t beat that with regular pizza. And I’m usually not just craving one slice of pizza but more like 3-4, and with broccoli crust pizza that’s totally OK!
Pizza for me…
Pizza for the kids…hahahaha.
How to Make Gluten-Free Broccoli Crust Pizza (1 min.)
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped & steamed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara
- Handful cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with oil; set aside.
- Place the steamed broccoli in the food processor and pulse until it's finely grated. You can also use a cheese grater. Transfer the broccoli to a cheese cloth and squeeze out all the water in order to ensure the broccoli is dry.
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl, add the eggs, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix with a spoon or your hands until all the ingredients are well blended and a dough forms.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet, and shape into a round pizza crust, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake the dough in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and add the marinara, remaining cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy, about 10 more minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes before cutting.
- This recipe was inspired by Gimme Delicious