This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for a vegan version of the popular Chicken Shawarma, you’re going to love this recipe for oven roasted chickpea shawarma. The recipe has the same seasoning as the chicken version but it also includes more vegetables for a fuller meal. Enjoy it with pita, over grains or on a salad! I love using Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil in this recipe, it’s my solution to a delicious quick weeknight dinner with easy cleanup.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas are the base of the recipe to replace the chicken. They are loaded with protein and get golden and crisp in the oven.
- Cauliflower: To bulk up the chickpeas, you can add other vegetables like cauliflower to the sheet pan. You can also try it with eggplant, zucchini or just double up on the chickpeas.
- Seasoning: Like traditional shawarma, the spices used on the chickpeas include cumin, paprika, cardamom, cinnamon and crushed red pepper along with salt, and garlic. It’s also a good idea to toss it with lemon juice when it comes out of the oven. Feel free to switch up the seasoning.
- Onions & peppers: To add more flavor to the oven roasted chickpeas and flavor it with aromatics, consider adding onions, peppers and even carrots if you’d like.
- Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil: This is key to a no-mess clean-up for this quick weeknight meal. Make sure you place the foil with the dull side up (the non-stick side), so there’s no need to add cooking spray and you can use less oil in the recipe than you normally would need to.
How to make chickpea shawarma
- Line a half-sheet pan with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil so it covers the entire surface. Add the chickpeas, cauliflower, onions, peppers and all the seasoning to the pan. The recipe includes some olive oil to help incorporate the spices, but you can use less or leave it out!
- Use your hands to toss everything together making sure the spices coat all the chickpeas and vegetables. There’s no need to prep in a separate bowl.
- Bake until the vegetables soften and the chickpeas get crisp. You’ll notice how none of the vegetables, especially the onions, stick to the pan thanks to the foil. That makes it easy to scoop up the chickpea shawarma and serve it immediately.
Tips for one-pan oven roasted meals
- Use the dull side of the Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil. That’s the non-stick side with the watermark that should always be facing up, next to the food. You don’t need to use cooking spray or oil!
- Don’t be afraid of using high heat. For roasting, it’s best to heat the oven to at least 425°F. It allows for a crispy, perfectly browned exterior and a fork tender interior. If you have larger vegetables or ones that take longer to cook, you can decrease the temperature to 400°F and add 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Keep the ingredients in an even layer on the baking sheet. It’s ok if the chickpeas and cauliflower are touching as long as they are not overlapping. This will help them to get nice and crispy. Use two baking sheets if necessary.
- Heat the pan in the oven while it’s preheating. This allows the pan and foil to be warm which helps the chickpea shawarma get more crisp in the oven.
Frequently asked questions
This oven roasted chickpea shawarma recipe is best served as soon as it’s made because the vegetables will be more crisp that way. You can however season everything together and keep it covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours before you want to cook it.
Because the ingredients are all plant-based, this will last up to 5 days in the fridge. The chickpeas and veggies will lose their crispness after an hour though. You can reheat in the oven at 350°F for 5 minutes for best texture.
Typically shawarma in the Middle East is always eaten as a sandwich. For the same experience, add it to pita, load it up with pickles, tomatoes and tahini sauce. You can also add it to grain bowls or make a salad with it. Definitely use the tahini sauce though regardless how you serve it!
For an easy weeknight meal, it doesn’t get better than throwing everything together in one pan and roasting it in the oven. This is such a delicious go-to dinner idea and a great way to eat more vegetables. And the Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil is a practical tool to bring it all together by making prepping and cleaning so easy!
More oven roasted recipes:
- Oven Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Herbs
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Tomatoes with Crostini
- Oven Baked Potato Chips
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Oven Roasted Chickpea Shawarma recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Oven Roasted Chickpea Shawarma
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and dried
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Tahini sauce for serving
- Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Foil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil.
- Place the chickpeas, onions, cauliflower and green pepper on the prepared baking sheet. Add the olive oil, garlic, salt, cardamom, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper and cinnamon and toss well to combine.
- Bake until the veggies soften, and the chickpeas become golden brown, 30-35 minutes, tossing halfway through. Immediately add the lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Serve in bowls over grains or in a pita sandwich with tahini sauce, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.