This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This vegan White Bean Salad comes together quickly and easily with just a handful of ingredients. It’s great for meal prep, is high in protein and is made with pantry staple ingredients. Finished in a simple lemon dressing for a fresh and vibrant dish, it’s a great base salad that you can customize based on what you have on hand.
Simple pantry salad
I know that you are going to love this simple Tuscan white bean salad. It’s made with pantry staples but is still light and fresh because of the dressing that pulls it together. It’s cheap to make and it’s perfect for meal prep. So grab that can of white beans form the back of your cupboard and make up a batch of this in minutes.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- White beans: High in protein and a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals, white beans are the main ingredient of this dish. Drain and rinse them and they are ready to use. There are three varieties of white beans that work here: Great Northern beans, navy beans, or white kidney beans (also called cannellini beans).
- Onions: I use red onions that are mild in taste without being overpowering when they’re fresh. They add a lot of flavor to the salad.
- Herbs: I use a mix of parsley and cilantro. I highly recommend fresh herbs if you have, but dried will work well if you’re in a pinch. Since we’re not cooking the herbs, the substitutions will be far less compared to the fresh herbs. I recommend 1 teaspoon total of dried herbs, mixing and matching as you like. Aside from dried parsley and coriander (dried cilantro), oregano and basil work well!
- Tomatoes (optional): I use cherry tomatoes, but you can use whatever you have. Add them later if you are meal prepping the bean salad for a few days.
- Dressing: A simple lemon and olive oil dressing adds wonderful freshness to the salad and it’s something you can make super quickly. I like squeezing lemons in the beginning of the week to have on hand for simple dressings like this.
How to make white bean salad
- Place all of the salad ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Tips for making white bean salad
- Be sure to drain and rinse the beans before using them. The liquid is starchy and salty so you want to rinse as much of it off as possible.
- Use fresh herbs in this recipe for the best tasting dish. It really lifts the dish, though in a pinch you can use dried. Chop the herbs finely so that they combine well with the other ingredients.
- Don’t add the tomatoes until serving. You can make and dress the rest of the salad ahead of time, but cut the tomatoes just before serving so that they don’t dry out. This goes for any other fresh soft vegetables you’re adding like cucumbers or lettuce.
- Make the dressing in the same bowl as the salad. If you’re serving the white bean salad salad immediately, whisk the dressing first in the large bowl, then add the ingredients and toss everything together. There’s less dishes to wash that way…you’re welcome 😉
Frequently asked questions
I use canned beans as the are easy, convenient and ready to use. You can use dried beans, but you will have to cook them first so that they are soft. Check out this post to learn how to cook dried beans.
I use cannellini beans in this recipe, which are also called white kidney beans. Great Northern beans or navy beans will also work well. This recipe is adaptable though, and it would work with other canned beans like red kidney, pinto and even chickpeas.
This white bean salad is great for meal prep. It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days dressed or undressed. Don’t add the tomatoes until just before serving though.
This white bean salad is a great side dish, but it’s also perfect for easy to grab healthy lunches. Make a batch today and enjoy it throughout the week. At its base, it simply a a couple cans of beans tossed in a light and fresh dressing. Dress it up how you like or keep it simple and satisfying as is.
More white bean recipes
More salad recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good White Bean Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
White Bean Salad
- 2 15- ounce can white beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- Salt & pepper
- In a medium bowl, place the prepared white beans, tomatoes, onions, parsley and cilantro.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.