Once a week, I like to look at the top content on my blog to see what recipes you guys are enjoying and what’s working well. To my surprise, the top recipe this week, this month, and I think possibly this year was this Vegetarian Lemon Rice Soup. I made it 10 months ago and it’s a recipe my whole family loves because it reminds us all of chicken noodle soup.
So this week, I thought how can I take the best of that recipe and make something similar that you guys will also love! And so I decided to keep the same 3 base vegetables: onions, carrots and celery, of course with some garlic and fresh herbs. Then I added the pasta instead of the rice and the chickpeas to thicken the soup and give it some protein. That’s pretty much the “meat and potatoes” of the recipe…only there’s actually no meat or potatoes (bad analogy I think…). This Vegetarian Chickpea Pasta Soup is perfect if you’re on a diet because it’s full of vegetables, low fat, gluten-free (if you use gluten-free pasta like I did) and will keep you feeling full for hours!
That’s the base of the soup! Then I added some parsley for garnish.
And then I made it completely not vegan by adding Parmesan cheese. I’m not vegan, but I love to cook and eat plant-based foods as much as possible. But I can’t stay away from cheese for the life of me! So I added the grated Parmesan to give it a salty taste. But of course, you can certainly just omit the cheese all together.
Maybe then, just toast some sprouted bread to dip in this delightful soup! And you’ll forgive me if you are vegan. Because I tried!
Either way, the soup is hearty, healthy and oh-so-heavenly…kinda like a white minestrone soup!
Vegetarian Chickpea Pasta Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots halved lengthwise and finely diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed/drained*
- 8 oz pasta of choice
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley for serving plus more for serving
- Parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Pour the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and the pasta and cook for about 10 minutes until the pasta is soft.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the fresh parsley.
- * You can also use white northern beans instead of chickpeas