This Vegetarian Chickpea Soup is inspired by my Vegetarian Lemon Rice Soup so it has essentially similar ingredients buy also with the plant-based protein powerhouse chickpeas to make it more filling. The soup is hearty, healthy and has amazing flavor!
So this week, I thought how can I take the best of that recipe and make something similar that you guys will also love! And so I decided to keep the same 3 base vegetables: onions, carrots and celery, of course with some garlic and fresh herbs. Then I added the pasta instead of the rice and the chickpeas to thicken the soup and give it some protein. That’s pretty much the “meat and potatoes” of the recipe…only there’s actually no meat or potatoes (bad analogy I think…). This Vegetarian Chickpea Soup is perfect if you’re on a diet because it’s full of vegetables, low fat, gluten-free (if you use gluten-free pasta like I did) and will keep you feeling full for hours!
That’s the base of the soup! Then I added some parsley and parmesan cheese for garnish.
For more soup recipes:
- Easy Ravioli Soup
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Mediterranean White Bean Soup
- Healthy Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Vegetarian Chickpea Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Vegetarian Chickpea Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots halved lengthwise and finely diced
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed/drained*
- 8 oz pasta of choice
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley for serving plus more for serving
- Parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Pour the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and the pasta and cook for about 10 minutes until the pasta is soft.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the fresh parsley.
- * You can also use white northern beans instead of chickpeas