This vegan-friendly Healthy Broccoli and Cheese Soup has all the flavor of the traditional recipe but with no cream, less calories and less fat!
This Healthy Broccoli and Cheese Soup is inspired by vegan cheese dip, which is made by pureeing potatoes and carrots. Combined, they create a velvety smooth texture and rich yellow color that looks like cheese, which lightens up this classic soup recipe while still keeping it hearty and delicious!
How to make broccoli and cheese soup
Roast the vegetables
Start by roasting one tray of the broccoli and another tray of the onions, potatoes and carrots. Roasting them gives a cozy and caramelized notes to deepen the flavor of the soup. You can also just sauté the onions with the carrots and potatoes in the pot if you prefer.
Cook everything in a pot
- Once the vegetables are roasted, transfer just the onions, potatoes and carrots to the pot. And add the seasoning.
- Pour vegetable or chicken broth on top. My vegetable broth is very orange so it does lend an orange hue to the recipe. Chicken broth will look much lighter.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything together to create a cheese-like soup base.
- Add the roasted broccoli to the pot and then use an immersion blender again to roughly chop the broccoli.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and unsweetened almond milk for a balanced creamy and cheesy taste.
- Stir until it’s all heated through, and then it’s ready to be served!
Tips for making homemade broccoli cheese soup
- Use starchy potatoes rather than waxy in this recipe. Starchy potatoes will break down and create a creamier texture. I like to use Yukon Gold, and Russet would also work well.
- Use an immersion blender to create a smooth and creamy soup. You can also use a stand blender, and blend it in portions, but this can take more time and create more dishes to wash.
- Cook the vegetables in the pot instead of roasting them. To limit use of extra dishes and the oven, you can also cook the onions, carrots and potatoes in the pot for 6-8 minutes and then add the broth in.
- Use nutritional yeast instead of cheddar cheese to keep it vegan. Nutritional yeast offers some umami and “cheesy” flavor as well as an added yellow color to the soup.
Frequently asked questions
Roasting the vegetables helps to bring out their natural flavors and sweetness so much more than boiling them with the soup liquid. It takes a little longer this way, but it’s definitely worth it.
Soup is one of my favorite dishes for meal prep. Allow the soup to cool and then transfer it to a covered container. It will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 to 5 days and can be gently reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave to serve.
Yes! Soup is great for freezer meals. I often make double batches! Place the cooled soup into ziplock bags or a safe container and it will keep well for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the fridge overnight before reheating.
This broccoli and cheese soup will feel like a lightened up version of the classic soup with all the flavors we crave in winter and that cheesy goodness.
For more soup recipes, check out:
- Lemon Rice Soup
- Healthy Potato Leek Soup
- Tomato Cabbage Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup
- Lentil Kale Soup
If you’ve tried this feel good Broccoli and Cheese Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 4-5 yukon yellow potatoes peeled and sliced
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 small head broccoli cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, and line a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Arrange the potatoes, carrots and onions on the baking dish, drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper and toss to coat. Roast the vegetables in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through
- In another small baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add the broccoli, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and season with remaining salt and pepper; toss to combine. Roast the broccoli for 10 minutes.
- Transfer all the vegetables, except for the broccoli to a deep pot. Pour the vegetable broth over the roasted vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, and blend using an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Add the broccoli and pulse a few times to incorporate the broccoli. Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Serve warm with extra cheese on top, if desired.