This healthy Instant Pot broccoli soup is ready to serve in less than 10 minutes! Easy to make with 4 ingredients, it's so fresh and delicious.
This Vegan Broccoli Soup is the perfect weeknight soup that is so quick to cook with a vibrant color and flavor! Easy to make with only four ingredients and perfect with frozen vegetables. This recipe comes from Sarah Copeland’s cookbook Instant Family Meals. She loves this recipe because it’s “quick as a wink to cook” and it offers so much flexibility!
Ingredients to make the soup recipe
- Broccoli: You can use fresh or frozen broccoli. Make sure to cut them into florets to they become more flavorful when blended.
- Peas: Just like broccoli, the peas can be fresh or frozen. They offer great sweetness to the soup recipe that complements the cruciferous broccoli.
- Fennel: If you can’t find fennel or it’s out of season, you can swap it in for celery.
- Broth: I prefer to use vegetable broth to keep the recipe vegan, but you can also make it with chicken broth.
- Salt & pepper: For seasoning, but feel free to add in any other herbs to it.
How to make broccoli soup in the instant pot
- Place the broth, broccoli, peas and fennel into your pressure cooker.
- Cook on high pressure.
- Blend until smooth, and season to taste.
Tips for making the recipe
- Keep warm with lid off for best color. After blending the soup, if you’re not ready to serve it, return the inner pot to the pressure cooker and leave on the Keep Warm setting. Keeping the lid off helps maintain the bright green color according to Sarah.
- Use frozen broccoli to make it a pinch. Both the peas and broccoli can be either fresh or frozen depending on what’s available. The frozen vegetables are actually more likely to keep the color a bright punchy green!
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a stand blender. Ladle it in portions into the blender and blend in batches before returning it to the pot. Be careful though as the broccoli and pea soup will be very hot!
- Season to taste. The great thing about this vegan broccoli soup is that all the seasoning happens at the end of cooking so you have full control of the final taste. I’m quite generous with the fresh cracked pepper I add as it works really well with the fennel in this recipe.
Frequently asked questions
If you don’t have an electric pressure cooker, you can make this soup on the stovetop. Place the ingredients into a pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the broccoli is tender before blending.
This vegan broccoli soup will lose it’s bright green color if you make it ahead of time, but it will still be good to eat. Let the soup cool completely before placing it in an airtight container and it will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat the soup gently on the stovetop or in the microwave for a couple minutes, stirring half way through.
Yes, because this soup doesn’t contain any dairy, it’s perfect for the freezer. It will keep for up to 6 months frozen, just defrost it in the fridge overnight before reheating it.
This is such a great tasing soup and so simple and quick to make! The flavors are so deliciously fresh and it’s packed full of goodness. Serve this vegan broccoli soup with some crusty bread, Dinner Rolls or top with homemade croutons for a delicious lunch or dinner appetizer.
More soup recipes:
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Asparagus Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Vegan Broccoli Soup recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Combine the broth, broccoli, peas and fennel in the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Lock on the lid and Pressure Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Release team manually.
- Open the lid and remove the inner pot from the cooker. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with homemade croutons, and drizzle of olive oil and fennel leaves, if desired.
- Instead of peas, feel free to use lima beans or black-eyed peas
- Instead of fennel, you can substitute celery.
- Instead of vegetable broth, you can use chicken broth or milk.