This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Get ready to shake up your breakfast routine with the latest TikTok sensation: scrambled oats! This mouth-watering recipe involves pan-frying a delicious mixture of oats, bananas, and eggs for a texture that’s reminiscent of soft and chewy granola. Not only can you enjoy scrambled oats as a meal, but it’s also perfect as a snack or topped with yogurt and fruit. So why settle for boring old oatmeal when you can indulge in a flavorful bowl of scrambled oats? Give it a try and join the viral sensation!
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love this viral scrambled oats recipe
- Scrambled oats ingredients
- How to make This scrambled oats Recipe
- Tips for making the best scrambled oats
- Popular substitutions & additions
- What to serve with scrambled oats
- How to store & reheat scrambled oats
- Frequently asked questions
- More Oat recipes:
- Scrambled Oats Recipe
I first saw this trend on TikTok and was intrigued and decided to try it because of the ingredient list: oats, bananas, and eggs. It’s that simple, which also makes it super customizable. I make mine with greek yogurt for added protein, cinnamon for a hint of sweetness, and a dash of salt to round out the flavors. It’s a high-protein and high-fiber breakfast or snack that is a fun change from oatmeal.
Why you’ll love this viral scrambled oats recipe
- Energy-boosting breakfast. This recipe makes for a balanced and nutritious meal that provides quick and sustained energy. The carbohydrates from the banana and oats provide an immediate, and long-lasting energy boost,
- Packed full of protein. Eggs and Greek yogurt are rich in high-quality protein and healthy fats that help sustain that energy for longer.
- Serve savory or sweet. The versatility of scrambled oats allows them to be flavored with various savory ingredients such as chives, onions, cheese, and herbs, while a sweet variation can be achieved by adding honey, maple syrup, fruits, or nut butter.
Scrambled oats ingredients
- Oats: Rolled oats work best for this recipe as they are chewier and cook quicker than steel-cut oats, whereas instant oats cook too quickly and will be mushy. This oat recipe guide elaborates more on the different types of oats and how to use them.
- Banana: Use a ripe banana for added sweetness.
- Egg: The egg adds protein and is a delicious binder for a richer oat recipe.
- Greek yogurt: Adds moisture without the need to butter or oil.
- Salt: Just a pinch helps to balance all the flavors.
How to make This scrambled oats Recipe
- Place the banana, oats, egg, yogurt, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Use a fork to mash it all together until well combined.
- Transfer the oat mixture to a heated skillet and spread it out into an even layer.
- Let it cook for a few minutes without disturbing it until it begins to brown on the bottom.
- Stir and scramble the oat mixture and allow the other side to cook.
- Continue to toast until the scrambled oat pieces are evenly brown all over.
Tips for making the best scrambled oats
- Use a ripe banana. Whether you want to serve them sweet or savory, a ripe banana adds a hint of sweetness and is a little creamier. This provides a smooth texture to the oats and makes them more enjoyable.
- Use full-fat Greek yogurt. Full-fat, plain, and unsweetened yogurt is the best option to obtain all the added benefits of protein and for the added moisture it brings instead of oil.
- Meal prep. Make a larger batch and divide it into a few portions for a quick breakfast during the week
- Make it your own. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and flavor combinations to find your favorite recipe.
Popular substitutions & additions
- Skip the egg. Instead of using one egg, you can use ¼ cup of greek yogurt instead, as I did in this video. This will make the texture a little softer, so I recommend some added oil to help crisp it on the skillet.
- Skip the yogurt. Instead, you can use a neutral oil or butter to grease the pan before cooking your oat mixture.
- Add spices. Instead of cinnamon, you can add turmeric, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, or any combination of these.
- Make it chocolatey. Using the same base recipe, just add 1 tablespoon of cacao powder for chocolate-flavored scrambled oats.
- Make with Oath Overnight Oats: This is a brand I launched to create convenient packages of my oatmeal recipes. Try substituting equal parts of the maple overnight oats mix in this recipe instead of using rolled oats
What to serve with scrambled oats
How to store & reheat scrambled oats
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge. To reheat, add to a dry skillet over low heat until warmed.
How long will scrambled oats last in the fridge?
Scrambled oats will last in the fridge for 3-4 days and is a great meal prep option. Scoop out a portion and mix in your additional toppings if desired for a quick energy-boosting breakfast to start your day.
Can I freeze scrambled oats?
Scrambled oats are best enjoyed fresh or within a few days. I would not suggest freezing it as the texture may be affected.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! Sautee vegetables like onions, mushrooms, or peppers before adding the egg and oat mixture to the pan for a hearty scramble. You can add spinach or other greens about halfway through cooking.
I haven’t tried this recipe without a banana, but you could try it with ¼ cup of applesauce or yogurt.
Yes! This recipe will be just as delicious and a little less rich with egg whites. I’d suggest using two egg whites for scrambled oats instead of just one whole egg.
This recipe is based on using oats, but you could try it with another grain, such as rice, bulgur, or barley, or swap it for quinoa.
If you’re tired of the same old boring breakfast routine, look no further than scrambled oats! Not only are they delicious and nutritious, but they also offer endless possibilities for customization. Boost your breakfast game by customizing your own bowl of scrambled oats. Whether you crave something sweet or savory, scrambled oats can be the perfect way to start your day off right with a healthy dose of fiber and protein.
More Oat recipes:
- Easy Overnight Oats
- Baked Banana Oats
- Almond Granola
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Oatmeal Banana Bread
- Pecan Date Bars
- Strawberry Oat Bars
- Very Berry Crisp
- Morning Coffee Smoothie
If you try this feel good Scrambled Oats recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- Place the banana, oats, egg, yogurt, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and use a fork to mash it all together until well combined.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and transfer the oat mixture to the skillet. Spread it out to an even layer and allow to cook undisturbed until it looks set, about 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to scramble the mixture and cook on the other side until browned and toasted, about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl along with greek yogurt, berries and coconut, if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.