This creamy pesto chicken is made with a only few ingredients, making it an easy healthy and delicious weeknight meal that comes together in only 15 minutes
This Creamy Pesto Chicken blog post is sponsored by Imagine® Foods, although the content represents my own personal opinion/experience.
Easy, healthy delicious dinner in under 30 minutes. That’s everyone’s objective on a busy weeknight, am I right? Well, this creamy pesto chicken recipe actually only needs 15 minutes, so you really can’t beat that! And once you taste it, you’ll never guess that it took such little time to make it. And that’s all thanks to a little help from a humble carton of soup!
Imagine Creamy Super Greens Soup is power packed with veggies like organic green peas, spinach, and broccoli along with a dreamy coconut cream. So it’s a delicious, creamy soup that lends all the flavor to this creamy pesto chicken recipe. It’s the kind of recipe that makes you feel good of the minimal ingredients used that still deliver maximum flavor!
How to make creamy pesto chicken
Cook the chicken
Well, now that you know the key to making this creamy pesto chicken in 15 minutes, there’s not much to the actual recipe! But here are the few steps you need to make this easy weeknight meal happen.
Start with about 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. The recipe is very forgiving and flexible, so you can use more or less chicken.
Next, dredge the chicken lightly in flour and cook on both sides. The flour helps to make the chicken crispy on the outside and locks in the moisture. You can skip the flour if you prefer, but it’s a very small amount that enhances the texture of the chicken.
Cook the chicken for 5 minutes per side, allowing the chicken to naturally release from the pan. Then set aside to make the creamy pesto sauce.
Make the creamy pesto sauce
In that same pan, add store-bought or previously made pesto sauce. And then add the Imagine Creamy Super Greens Soup.
So instead of adding herbs, cream and spices to the dish, we only add soup. This is the kind of soup that’s not just about taste, but also about function. What does that mean? It means it’s a powerhouse combo of beans, vegetables, and body boosting plants. And what does that all mean? Loads of nutrients and a good source of Vitamin A and Fiber with your chicken.
Then just add the chicken to this powerhouse sauce and combine! You can warm the sauce before adding the chicken for a couple minutes, and leave the chicken on top of the sauce. Or you can combine everything together and coat the chicken with the sauce.
I love to heat up the sauce with some cherry tomatoes. They soften with the heat and release the best flavor that goes well with the creamy pesto chicken.
Tips for making creamy pesto chicken
- Freeze 2-3 tablespoons of pesto to have on hand. This could be store-bought or homemade. But having the pesto ready to go is what truly makes recipe so quick and simple.
- Start with one cup of the super green soup and adjust to get the consistency and amount you like. I found that 1 cup was great for 4 4 oz of chicken. If you’re tossing it with pasta, you’ll need more though.
- Customize the add-ins and sides. You can serve this with pasta, rice, potatoes, added vegetables or anything else you’d like to serve it with. I went full force Italian with the cherry tomatoes and penne pasta, and we loved the combination. But if you want to serve this with grilled broccoli and rice for example, I salute your choice!
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken for best results. The time estimates I provide in the recipe below are simple estimates based on the size and thickness of the chicken I used. For the best accuracy, I would highly recommend using a quick-read thermometer and cooking the chicken to 165°F. Be sure not to go over that temperature or the chicken will become too dry.
I love how this meal looks gourmet and restaurant quality, but it’s made in just 15 minutes with very simple ingredients. It’s all thanks to the Imagine Creamy Super Greens Soup. It gave me a shortcut to making the recipe without compromising on quality or taste.
In fact all the Imagine soups are USDA organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and non-GMO project verified. Their products are ingredient proud. And that makes me proud including it in my recipes.
More pesto recipes:
More chicken recipes
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Creamy Pesto Chicken recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Creamy Pesto Chicken
- 4-6 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Creamy pesto sauce
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup Imagine Super Greens Soup
- Fresh basil for serving
- Cherry tomatoes for serving
- Penne pasta for serving
- Pound chicken to same thickness, dab dry with paper towel, then season with salt and pepper on both sides. Dip chicken in flour, flipping to coat all sides, then dust off any excess flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, and cook chicken over medium heat 5-8 minutes on each side until cooked through and lightly browned. Transfer chicken to a plate, cover and set aside.
- In same pan used for the chicken, add pesto and saute for 1-2 minutes over medium heat until fragrant. Add the Super Greens Soup, and stir until hot throughout and combined with pesto.
- Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve hot with cherry tomatoes and penne pasta, if desired.