Pasta is a staple in many homes but it can get repetitive and, um, carb-filled which is the antithesis of many a diet. I wanted to sub pasta for a healthy and fun alternative — so, zoodles! Zucchini in the shape of noodles. Couldn’t really fool anyone with the taste, because it actually doesn’t taste like pasta, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t try. Zoodles are a fun way to eat zucchini or a great addition to your noodle dish to bulk it up with vegetables, which is what I usually do!
You’ll need a kitchen gadget called a spiralizer to make the zucchini go all noodle-y. I wouldn’t recommend trying to do this by hand or it’ll take a zillion years and won’t have that pasta look or feel.
Zoodles with Basil-Walnut Pesto is a salad and pasta dish hybrid. All of the tasty components of a fresh salad, basil, tomatoes, walnuts, olive oil and spinach woven in with your awesome noodle-but-not-noodle base. It’s fresh, light, filling and the kids will have something to talk about at school the next day!
For more healthy pasta dishes:
- Pesto Spaghetti with Shrimp
- Arrabiata Pasta with Shrimp
- Hummus Pasta
- Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- Pumpkin Pesto Pasta
- Butternut Squash Noodles
- Zoodles with Pesto
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Zoodles Pesto recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Zoodles with Basil-Walnut Pesto
- 2 zucchinis cut using Spiralizer
- 1 tbsp sundried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- Handful of cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup packed basil
- 1/4 cup packed spinach packed
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the zucchini using a spiralizer and place on a dish. Add the sundried tomatoes, walnuts and cherry tomatoes.
- To make the Basil Walnut pesto, mix all the ingredients in a food processor until everything is well blended with no clumps.
- Add the pesto on top of the zoodles and mix everything is well blended.
- Serve cold as a salad