Chicken Shawarma SaladJump To Recipe
- Serves: 6 servings
This Chicken Shawarma Salad is LOADED with Lebanese ingredients traditionally found in a shawarma sandwich, (minus the pita) - grilled chicken smothered in shawarma spices, lettuce, tabbouleh, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, turnips, banana peppers and hummus - it's low-carb, high protein and the perfect meal!
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Chicken Shawarma Salad
I’m spoiled. I grew up in a town with the best Lebanese food – Dearborn, Michigan. And now it’s just too hard to compare Lebanese restaurants where I live to the authentic ones back home. So, what I do is buy the ingredients I need from Dearborn, eat alllllllll the things when I visit, and then try to create the magic in my own kitchen. The magic today is this chicken shawarma salad. Authentic chicken shawarma is layers of well-marinated chicken (or beef or lamb) that is stacked on a vertical spit, then shredded and wrapped up in a warm pita with all the toppings. It’s juicy, tender and smothered in the shawarma spice marinade. My version has the essence of that chicken shawarma in the quick Americanized home version…i.e. marinade the chicken, slap it on a grill pan, and place it on a bowl of veggies.
For the marinade, I generally use a shawarma seasoning that I buy from a local Arabic store in Dearborn, in addition to olive oil and lemon juice. But when I run out, I simply recreate the seasoning by mixing the following:
Cumin, Coriander, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Turmeric, Onion Powder, Allspice, Cinnamon, Sat & Pepper.
The chicken shawarma gets perfectly charred on the grill pan, similar to the effects of shawarma on a vertical spit. The salad toppings are simply ideas for inspiration of what you could put in a bowl with the chicken shawarma. I love keeping it Lebanese and keeping it real because that’s how I grew up eating it.
I had leftover tabbouleh and there’s ALWAYS leftover hummus in my fridge, which I added to the salad bowl to bring it all together. It was a hugely satisfying meal stuffed with vegetables and loaded with flavor! I just can’t get enough of it!
- 6 6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp shawarma seasoning OR
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp AllSpice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, prepare the marinade for the chicken shawarma by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, salt, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, onion powder, All Spice, cinnamon and black pepper.
- Whisk to combine. Add the chicken to the marinade and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a grill pan on medium high, and place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, then turn and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is full cooked and charred to your liking.
- Slice the chicken and serve it with the salad ingredients of your choice. Top with hummus as the "dressing"
- Here’s how I made my tabbouleh
- Her’s how I make my hummus
- Make ahead: You can make the marinade for the chicken up to 5 days in advance and you can marinade the chicken up to 24 hours in advance.
- Storage: Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Nutrition: The nutrition label is only for the chicken because I put way more hummus on mine that most people might so I don’t want to hold you accountable to my calories haha 😉