This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tangy yogurt marinated chicken – Juicy grilled chicken breast that has been marinated in greek yogurt, earthy garlic, vibrant paprika, oregano, and zesty onion powder. This yogurt-marinated chicken breast is full of flavor and easy to make. I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could also use thighs or drumsticks.
Looking for a delicious and healthy grilled chicken breast recipe? Look no further! This Greek yogurt marinated grilled chicken is perfect for a summer cookout. The combination of paprika, garlic, onion powder, and oregano gives the chicken a flavorful and zesty taste. Best of all, this recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, and Paleo-friendly. Let’s get started!
why you’ll love this greek yogurt chicken marinade
- Tangy. Greek yogurt adds a delicious tang to the chicken, making it a great marinated grilled chicken recipe. The yogurt marinade also helps to keep the chicken moist and juicy.
- Healthy. This recipe is low in calories and fat, but high in protein and full of flavor! Everything you can hope for in a healthy recipe.
- Easy to make. This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- Crowd pleaser. Everyone will love this chicken! It’s perfect for a summer cookout or backyard BBQ.
Ingredients to make yogurt marinated chicken
- Chicken: I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but you can also use chicken thighs or drumsticks.
- Yogurt: Plain Greek yogurt is my yogurt of choice, but you can use any type of yogurt that you like.
- Lemon: Adds additional depth of flavor and helps to tenderize the chicken.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves or garlic powder can be used.
- Spices: A mixture of paprika, oregano, onion powder, salt, and pepper make the perfect spice blend.
How to make yogurt marinated chicken
This yogurt-marinated chicken is really simple to make! The hardest part is waiting for the marinade to set it.
- Pat the chicken breast with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Place the chicken in a large glass bowl.
- Add Greek yogurt on top of the chicken and season with the paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the yogurt and seasoning and coat well. Allow the chicken to marinate.
- Preheat an outdoor grill. Place the chicken on the grill and cook with the lid open on one side without touching it.
- Use tongs to flip the chicken and cook on the other side.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken and pull off the grill once it’s done cooking.
Tips for making yogurt marinated grilled chicken
- Double-grease the grill grates. Because of the yogurt used in the marinade, the grilled chicken can sometimes stick to the grill otherwise. Adding extra oil to the grill will help, and be sure not to try to flip the chicken too soon, which will also help.
- Pound the chicken to an even ½-inch thickness. This will help the chicken cook evenly and prevent it from drying out.
- Use a grill pan or cast iron skillet If you don’t have a grill. Just heat the pan over medium-high heat and cook for about the same amount of time.
- Marinate the chicken for a full 24 hours. This will give the chicken plenty of time to absorb all of the flavors from the marinade.
- Let the chicken rest before cutting into it. This will help keep all the juices in and make for a juicier grilled chicken breast.
- Try air frying or baking it. You can air fry this at 375°F for 8 minutes, then flip and air fry for 4-7 more minutes. You can also bake it in the oven at 425°F for 16-18 minutes. In all cases, make sure the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
popular substitutions & additions
- Switch out the spices: If you don’t have all the spices on hand or want to change things up, feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Some other great options are smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, or even a Greek seasoning blend.
- Add some veggies: Skewer some vegetables like cherry tomatoes, onion wedges, or mushrooms along with the chicken for a complete meal.
- Add olive oil. The yogurt marinates the chicken really well without the need for oil. But you can still add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to add more flavor and help prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill.
- Add mustard. It can be regular mustard or dijon mustard, but it also helps to add moisture to the chicken like the yogurt, and enhances the flavor of the chicken with a slight tang.
what to serve with your yogurt marinated chicken
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Cheesy Gouda Scalloped Potatoes
- Pasta in Yogurt Sauce
- Greek Orzo Salad (recipe coming soon)
how to store & reheat yogurt marinated chicken
This chicken is best served fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, reheat in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
how long will grilled chicken last in the fridge?
Cooked chicken will last in the fridge for up to four days.
can i freeze yogurt marinated chicken?
You can freeze the chicken before or after cooking. If freezing before, just place the chicken in a freezer-safe bag with the marinade and freeze for up to four months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator when ready to cook.
If freezing after cooking, let the chicken cool completely, then place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to four months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat in a skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
Frequently asked questions
No, you don’t need to poke holes in the chicken. The yogurt marinade will penetrate the chicken on its own. That being said, you can certainly poke holes in the chicken if you’d like.
No, you can use low-fat or non-fat yogurt. However, I find that full-fat yogurt works best because it helps keep the chicken moist and adds more flavor.
Yes, you can marinate chicken in yogurt overnight. In fact, I recommend it because it gives the chicken plenty of time to absorb all of the flavors from the marinade.
Grilled chicken is a summer staple, and this Greek yogurt marinated grilled chicken breast recipe is a delicious way to change things up. The chicken is flavorful and juicy, thanks to the 24-hour marinade in yogurt, garlic, onion powder, and oregano. If you’re looking for something different to grill for your next cookout, give this recipe a try!
More chicken recipes:
- Grilled Dijon Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Tortilla Crusted Chicken
- Pecan Crusted Chicken
- Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken
- Broccoli Chicken Alfredo
- Sweet Potato Noodles with Chicken
- Pesto Chicken Pasta
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Red Lentil Chicken Soup
If you try this feel good Yogurt Marinated Chicken recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Yogurt Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Pat the chicken breast with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Pound the thicker end of the chicken to even out the sides for even cooking, if needed.
- Add Greek yogurt and garlic on top of the chicken and season with the paprika, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub the chicken breasts with the yogurt and seasoning and coat well. Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill and cook with the lid open for 6-8 minutes on one side without touching. Use tongs to flip the chicken and cook for 6-8 more minutes on the other side, until the chicken reaches internal temperature 160°F. Keep in mind that the temperature will continue to rise about 5 degrees after you remove from heat and the chicken rests.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate or cutting board and tent with aluminum foil, if desired. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.