This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This watermelon salsa is made with juicy watermelon, crisp cucumbers, spicy jalapeno peppers, fresh cilantro, and creamy avocado. The perfect combo of sweet and savory flavors, plus the added bonus of being healthy and low-calorie.
Whether you call it watermelon salsa or watermelon pico de Gallo, this dish is sure to be a hit at your next summer gathering. So simple to make and so refreshing, it will become a go-to recipe all season long.
why you’ll love this Watermelon salsa with cucumber
- Sweet & savory. Watermelon adds just the perfect amount of sweetness to this dish, while the cucumber and jalapeno add a nice savory crunch.
- Healthy & low-calorie. This salsa is made with all fresh ingredients and is absolutely packed with nutrients.
- Perfect for summer entertaining. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or just having friends over for drinks, this salsa is the perfect party appetizer.
- Goes great with fish & chicken. This salsa is also delicious served on top of grilled fish or chicken.
Ingredients to make this watermelon salsa recipe
- Watermelon: Depending on how much watermelon salsa you want to make, you can use a personal-sized seedless watermelon or half a large seedless watermelon.
- English cucumber: I prefer to use an English cucumber because they are less watery than regular cucumbers and have smaller seeds.
- Jalapeño pepper: Remove the seeds from the jalapeño if you don’t want your salsa to be too spicy.
- Cilantro: I always use fresh cilantro, but feel free to substitute with parsley if you’re not a fan.
- Avocado: I love the creamy texture it adds to the salsa.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice is best, but you can also use bottled lime juice.
- Tajín seasoning: Tajín is a Mexican seasoning made with chili peppers, lime, and salt. It’s usually found in the Hispanic section of the grocery store. If you can’t find it, you can substitute it with chili powder.
- Red onion: I like to use a red onion because it’s less pungent than a white or yellow onion.
How to make watermelon salsa
- Place the watermelon, cucumbers, red onion, jalapeno pepper, avocado, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Add the lime zest and juice on top of the ingredients and sprinkle with the tajin seasoning.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Tips for making watermelon salsa/pico de gallo
- Learn how to cut a watermelon properly. They can be intimidating at first, but my tutorial shows how to cut it in half and remove the rind easily so you can enjoy it as a salsa.
- Soak the onions. I like to use red onions in this salsa since they have a milder taste than regular white or yellow onions. However, if you use white onions, just soak them in water for 30 minutes or rinse them well to make their taste less potent.
- Use a chopper. I linked below my favorite chopper for making recipes like this salsa that require everything to be evenly and finely diced. You’ll chop much faster this way, and the result is a beautiful presentation!
- Enjoy within 24 hours. You’ll notice that every hour after preparing the salsa, the watermelon will release more and more liquid. The avocado may start to brown after the first day as well, so enjoy it immediately for the best freshness and texture!
popular substitutions & additions
- Add more fruit. Some great additions to this watermelon salsa include strawberries, mango, and peaches. They also have less water content than watermelon, so they may hold up better after the first day.
- Switch out the herbs. For a tex mex inspired salsa, cilantro works really well in this recipe. However, fresh basil or mint also works really well with these flavors!
- Make it spicier. If you like your salsa on the spicy side, add another jalapeño or even some diced serrano peppers.
- Add feta cheese. I love the addition of crumbled feta cheese for a little salty flavor contrast.
what to serve/pair with your watermelon salsa
- Tortilla Chips are my favorite and a go-to for this fruit salsa!
- Pita Chips
- Grilled Cod
- Grilled Chicken
- Fish Tacos
how to store watermelon salsa
This salsa is best enjoyed the day it’s made. However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. The watermelon will release more liquid as it sits so it won’t be as fresh after the first day.
how long will watermelon salsa last in the fridge?
Watermelon salsa will last in the fridge for up to 24 hours. After that, the watermelon will release more liquid, and the avocado may start to brown.
Frequently asked questions
No, the tajin is totally optional. I love the flavor it adds, but you can leave it out if you don’t have any on hand. If you’ve never tried it, it adds a nice salty, tangy flavor to the salsa.
I wouldn’t recommend making this more than a few hours in advance because the watermelon will release more liquid, and the avocado may start to brown. If you need to make it ahead of time, wait to add the avocado until right before serving.
Use these tips to pick a ripe watermelon. The watermelon should be heavy for its size and have a dull, not shiny, appearance. The more yellow on the ground, the riper it is. You should also be able to hear a dull thud when you tap on it. Avoid watermelons with bruising, cuts, or soft spots.
Watermelon salsa is a refreshing and healthy summer appetizer that’s perfect for any party or gathering. It’s easy to make with just a few simple ingredients and can be tailored to your own taste preferences. So don’t wait; get started on your watermelon salsa today!
More watermelon recipes:
- Blueberry Watermelon Salad
- Watermelon Honey Lime Salad
- Watermelon Pizza
- Watermelon Cucumber Balsamic Salad
If you try this feel good Watermelon Salsa recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- ½ English cucumber diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 avocado diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons tajin seasoning
- Place the watermelon, cucumbers, red onion, jalapeno pepper, avocado and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Add the lime zest and juice on top of the ingredients and sprinkle with the tajin seasoning. Toss gently to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.