This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
So colorful and refreshing, this watermelon feta salad is a wonderful addition to any summer meal. Fresh watermelon, feta cheese, mint and cucumbers are tossed in a honey lime dressing for the ultimate sweet and salty bite.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Watermelon: Use a ripe watermelon and cut it into cubes. Although it is tempting to buy ready cut watermelon, it’s best to avoid it for this recipe as it won’t be as juicy. Learn how to cut a watermelon with these step by step photos.
- Feta cheese: The saltiness of feta cheese balances wonderfully when crumbled with the sweet watermelon. Goat cheese would also work really well.
- Cucumbers: Sliced cucumbers add a great texture. This recipe uses smaller Persian cucumbers, but diced English cucumbers will also do the job.
- Red onions: Red onions are milder than white or yellow and can be enjoyed raw in salads. Slice them finely so that they are not too overpowering. You could use sliced green onions as well.
- Mint: Fresh mint leaves add a great burst of flavor. If you don’t like mint, basil, parsley or cilantro would also work great.
- Dressing: Extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper.
RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
How to make Watermelon Feta Salad
- Cube the watermelon and add to a large bowl.
- Add in the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Tips for making the salad
- Chill the salad before serving. Once you have tossed the salad together, let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to develop, and the watermelon will be nice and refreshing.
- Cut the watermelon into evenly sized cubes. They should be easy to eat and if they are a similar size they will mix more easily with the other ingredients.
- Toss the salad gently when you add the dressing. Be careful not to break up the watermelon.
- Use the freshest and best quality ingredients. This is a simple salad recipe, and it’s so delicious because of its freshness. Avoid ready-cut watermelon and make sure your veggies are super fresh for the best flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Once you have tossed the salad with the dressing, keep it covered in the fridge. It’s best eaten within a couple of days, but will keep well for up to 4. After two days, the watermelon and cucumber will start to lose their crunch, but it will still be good to eat.
The vibrant color of watermelons are perfect for this, and they are so refreshing to enjoy in the summer. If you prefer though, other types of melons will work really well with the other ingredients in this recipe. Honeydew, galia and cantaloupe are all great choices.
You can serve this watermelon feta salad by itself as a sit down appetizer, but it’s wonderful paired with chicken, seafood and lamb. Try it with:
Grilled Lemon Chicken
Honey Lemon Salmon
Chili Lime Shrimp
So simple but so perfectly refreshing, this watermelon feta salad tastes like summer! With crunchy cucumbers and fresh mint, every forkful is so delicious. It makes such a great side for cookouts and picnics.
More summer salads :
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Watermelon Feta Salad recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Watermelon Feta Salad
- ½ large watermelon cut in squares (about 8 cups)
- 1 Persian cucumbers sliced
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the watermelon in a large bowl. Add the cucumbers, red onions, feta cheese and mint leaves around the watermelon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss gently to combine.
- Garnish with more fresh mint leaves, and serve cold.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
An explosion of flavours!
Goes well with barbecued food
Such a perfect meal!
I made this recipe for the 4th of July. I used a small star cookie cutter for the watermelon. I added a few blue berries around 2 larger stars of watermelon. Very fun! Everyone loved it. Thank you!
Love the idea with the cookie cutter! How fun! I’m so glad to hear everyone enjoyed.
I made your watermelon/feta salad last night and it was delicious! My kids loved it too!
So glad everyone enjoyed!
Great summer salad
Very tasty and refreshing summer salad. Thank you Yumna for the recipe.
Thank you! You’re so welcome!
Nice and different salad. I didn’t have lime so I substituted with fresh lemon juice. Thank you for the recipe.