This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recipe Salad is one of my favorite pantry meals made with only 6 ingredients that I quickly put together when our fridge was running low on fresh ingredients. It was fully of flavor, texture and nutrition and was such a great way to put together those shelf-stable ingredients (plus the feta) with a Mediterranean twist.
How do you make sun dried tomato pasta
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Rotini Pasta: or other short pasta.
- Sun dried tomatoes: Use the oil that they come in so that you don’t need to make a separate dressing.
- Chickpeas: Use canned chickpeas for a really quick and convenient recipe.
- Fish: You can use either canned salmon or tuna, both work really well.
- Green Olives: Use pitted olives and cut them in half to blend easier into the salad.
- Feta cheese: Feta adds a touch of saltiness to this pasta salad.
- Balsamic vinegar: For a little tang to balance the oil from the sun dried tomatoes, add some acid to the pasta salad. You could also use red or white wine vinegar if that’s what you have.
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Throw all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss. So easy and ready in less than 15 minutes!
Tips for making this pasta salad
- Cook the pasta al dente. For any pasta salad recipes, I always recommend cooking the pasta al dente. That’s because the texture is really important to the overall appeal of the dish. Cooking the pasta al dente keeps it from becoming mushy when you toss it with the dressing. Be sure to check out my post about how to cook pasta for perfect pasta every time!
- Dress the pasta salad while it’s hot. This way, the cooked pasta absorbs the dressing and clings to it better without any of the oil or vinegar being leftover at the bottom of the dish. Adding the dressing, not rinsing with cold water, is what will cool down the pasta.
- Use a short dried pasta like fusilli, farfalle, rotini or penne. Dried pasta works so much better than fresh, and use something with shape to it to help collect all of those yummy ingredients.
Frequently asked questions
Can you make it ahead of time?
Because this tomato pasta salad doesn’t have any mayo in, it does keep really well. Make a double batch for easy to grab lunches during the week. Let the salad cool and transfer it to an air tight container, it will keep well for up to 5 days in the fridge. It’s a great option to take to a potluck or picnic.
Do you need to make a dressing for this pasta salad?
Because you use the oil in the jarred sun dried tomatoes, there is no need to make a separate dressing, just add in a little balsamic vinegar and you are good to go! No extra ingredients or time needed, and it is so delicious!
Do you eat the sun dried tomato pasta hot or cold?
This works really well as a cold salad with feta, but you can eat it warm or at room temperature too. It can be served as a salad or as a pasta dish!
More pasta salad recipes
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Creamy Avocado Pasta Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Pesto
- Spinach Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Macaroni Salad
When you need a meal in a hurry, this sun dried tomato pasta is a winner! Full of flavor and made with only six pantry staples. Easy peasy!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces rotini pasta
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes with their oil
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 5 ounces canned salmon or tuna
- ½ cup green olives pitted sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions but reduce cooking time by 2 minutes so pasta is al dente; drain well.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with all the ingredients together until well combined. Enjoy cold or at room temperature or warmed.