This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Strawberry Arugula Salad is a vibrant fun salad to incorporate seasonal spring produce. It makes for a great side dish but can also be served as a meal with different proteins like grilled chicken tenders or grilled shrimp.
ingredients & substitutions
- Strawberries: They should be the freshest possible and you can count on them for the perfect level of sweetness for not only the salad but also the dressing. If you prefer not to use strawberries, try blueberries or peaches.
- Arugula: The arugula is also a power player in this dish with its spicy kick. You can switch it out though for any greens you’d like. Baby spinach would make a great addition.
- Pecans: These add a lovely crunch and elegant flavor, but you can use any other nuts instead like walnuts or cashews.
- Basil: This adds an aromatic sweet flavor to complement the strawberries. Feel free to swap it for parsley or dill.
- Dressing: Made with strawberries, olive oil, shallot, vinegar and dijon mustard, the dressing has a bright pink color and sweet flavor that adds a brightness to the salad.
Quick to assemble, the Strawberry Arugula Salad is unforgettably colorful and flavorful. It is easily going to become one of those salads you make and which everyone quickly asks for the recipe!
how to make the strawberry salad:
make the dressing
- In a blender, food processor or small chopper, mix together the strawberries, olive oil, vinegar, shallot and dijon mustard.
- Process until the dressing is smooth and creamy with no lumps.
mix the salad
- Place all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing right before serving.
- Toss gently to combine.
Tips for making the salad
- Make this salad vegan and dairy free. Swap the honey in the dressing for maple syrup and omit the feta, or use a plant based alternative.
- Wash and dry the arugula well. If you have one, use a salad spinner to remove excess water, or it can pool in the bottom of the bowl, otherwise, pat it gently with some kitchen towel.
- Dress the salad just before serving. The arugula can wilt if left to sit in the dressing for too long.
- Use fresh and ripe strawberries. Ripe strawberries will have more sweetness. Don’t use thawed frozen strawberries as they can become pretty soft and mushy.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can build the salad and make the dressing ahead of time. Cover the salad and keep refrigerated for 2 to 3 days, and the dressing will keep well for around 5 days. When ready to serve, simply add the dressing and toss.
As it is, this strawberry arugula salad makes a great side dish, but it’s easy to turn into a fuller meal by tossing in some protein. Shredded chicken, grilled shrimp or salmon all make for excellent additions.
This simple and easy strawberry arugula salad is so light and refreshing. With just the right amount of sweetness, it’s the perfect dish for the summer.
For more salads with fruit:
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad
- Watermelon Cucumber Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Salad
- Strawberry Caprese Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Strawberry Arugula Salad recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Strawberry Arugula Salad
- 1 pound strawberries tops removed
- 5 ounces fresh arugula
- ¾ cup pecans
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
For the Dressing
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white vinegar balsamic, sherry or still
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ small shallot peeled
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Thinly slice all strawberries and reserve 3 large berries for the dressing.
- Make the dressing. In the bowl of a food processor or a high speed blender, add reserved strawberries, oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, shallot, water and honey. Process until smooth and creamy, adding more water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- On a large serving platter or in a large serving bowl, mix arugula, berries, pecans, basil, and feta. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.