If you loved my 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies, this cookie recipe is for you! These Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies are just the right bite to hit the spot when you’re craving something sweet! They’re loaded with lots of nutritious ingredients that also come together to create that idyllic chewy, creamy and lightly sweet cookie that really satisfies.
Ingredients to make gluten free peanut butter cookies
- Peanut butter: Though you can experiment with other nut butters, to get the right consistency and that unmatchable flavor, go with your favorite, smooth peanut butter. If you’re using natural peanut butter, give it a very thorough stir to ensure you get the right amount of natural oils along with the pasty butter. It’s also really easy to make your own peanut butter!
- Cane sugar & brown sugar: The combination of the two adds sweetness to the recipe, but also adds structure. You can play around with the measurements to use more or less of each.
- Applesauce: Adds sweetness, but is also one form of leavening in this recipe. Opt for the unsweetened kind since we’re already adding sugar to the cookie dough.
- Oat flour: This is basically rolled oats or old fashioned oats blended in a blender until it looks like flour. It’s a great gluten-free flour option to use and adds nutritional benefits to the peanut butter cookies.
- Vanilla extract and salt: Both add flavor to the cookies.
- Baking soda: This helps the cookies rise, although they won’t spread too much.
How to make gluten free peanut butter cookies
The recipe is a very basic cookie recipe where you mix the wet ingredient in one bowl, the dry in another and combine everything together.
You don’t need any special equipment. However, since peanut butter is pretty tough to mix by hand, I would recommend using a hand mixer if you have one to blend together the peanut butter, cane sugar, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract. Mix the dry ingredients together in another bowl and then mix the two bowls together.
Form balls out of the dough, place on parchment and flatten slightly. Then, it’s baking time!
Tips for making gluten free cookies
- Make your own oat flour by grinding the oats in a blender. There’s no need to buy oat flour, as it’s cheaper and very convenient to make it at home if you have a blender.
- Work with a hand mixer to combine the wet ingredients. While it’s not necessary, it really helps to ensure that it is well incorporated. You can mix it by hand but it will take longer.
- Use a small cookie scoop to form the cookie dough balls. It’s much quicker and easier than rolling them by hand. It’s also a great way to ensure that the cookies are all the same size and shape. You can also use an ice cream scooper if you’d like!
- Avoid using natural peanut butter for these cookies. While I’m always a fan of unsweetened and natural peanut butter, as it can cause the cookies to spread more and have a crispier texture in this recipe. If you do use natural peanut butter, you may want to add a little more salt to the dough.
Frequently asked questions
Are these cookies vegan?
These cookies are not just gluten free, but they are vegan too. I substituted the eggs in this recipe with applesauce, which helps to bind the dough together and keeps the cookies wonderfully moist.
How do you know when the peanut butter cookies are ready?
These gluten free cookies only take around 8 minutes to bake, so be sure to keep your eye on them. The cookies should be cooked until they are firm and the edges are light brown in color. The peanut butter make the cookies brown in color, so you may need to quickly take them out of the oven to check the edges.
What gluten free flour is best for cookies?
To make these peanut butter cookies grain free, I substituted all purpose flour for oat flour. I haven’t made these cookies another alternative flour, but I would guess that you could use almond flour in the place of oat flour if that’s what you have.
More peanut butter recipes:
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
When you’re craving cookies or a dessert that can be easily portioned, these Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies are a dream come true. Packed with fantastic flavor, they are a great balance of sweet, salty and delicious. It doesn’t hurt that they are also high fiber, protein and incredibly nutrient dense, too.
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
This Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookie recipe was originally published on October 14, 2016. I’m re-sharing it today with update photos.
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash sea salt
- Blend peanut butter with cane sugar, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until well-mixed
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients (oat flour, baking soda, and salt).
- Mix peanut butter mixture with the dry ingredients and form cookie balls. Place on parchment paper and flatten using a fork
- Bake at 350F for 8 minutes or until they turn golden. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from tray.