This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Creamy Pumpkin Pasta recipe post is sponsored by DeLallo, although the content represents my own personal opinion and experience using the product.
Easy to make and ready to serve in minutes, this creamy pumpkin pasta is a delicious fall meal that the whole family will love. Pumpkin puree is mixed with half and half and seasoned with nutmeg before being tossed with cavatappi pasta.
Ingredients & substitutions
- DeLallo Cavatappi Pasta: DeLallo is my favorite pasta brand because their pastas have a beautiful golden color, a fresh flavor like that of fresh bread and amazing texture that cooks and bakes well for any recipe without a mushy texture! Plus DeLallo pastas are made with only durum wheat and water – no enriched flours, preservatives or dyes!
- Oil: For cooking, I use olive oil to saute the garlic. Avocado oil or vegetable oil will work as well.
- Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic cloves for the best flavor. In a pinch, you can use some garlic powder.
- Pumpkin puree: Use a pure pumpkin puree for this recipe. Pumpkin pie filling has added sugars and spices which wouldn’t work in this recipe.
- Broth: This is optional, but if you remember to save the pasta water instead, I think it creates a better sauce in this recipe!
- Half and half: This makes the pumpkin pasta sauce nice and creamy. You can use whipping cream for a richer texture and flavor.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper and nutmeg.
How to make creamy pumpkin pasta
- Cook the pasta and drain, reserving some pasta water.
- Soften the garlic with olive oil.
- Add the pumpkin puree to the pan.
- Add the stock or pasta water and half and half and combine.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan.
- Toss the pasta in the sauce and season to taste.
Tips for making the pasta
- Don’t overcook the pasta. The pasta should be cooked al dente as it will continue to cook once it is drained and again when it is tossed in the pumpkin sauce.
- Reserve some of the pasta cooking water. This is added to the sauce to help it thin, and it also helps to add additional flavor. The starch in the water also helps the sauce to cling to the pasta. If you accidentally toss the pasta water, you can use vegetable stock instead.
- Add some veggies or protein. This delicious pumpkin pasta is easily adapted to your taste. You can cook up some veggies like bell peppers or mushrooms to add into the finished pasta, or stir in some cooked shredded chicken or ground beef.
- Cook the pasta in salted water. This helps to add flavor to the dish right from the beginning. Make sure that there’s lots of water in the pot so that the pasta has room to move and cook evenly. Check out these other top tips for cooking pasta perfectly.
Frequently asked questions
Not all recipes work great with homemade pumpkin puree as it can have a higher water content compared to canned, but it does work well in this recipe. Any excess moisture can easily be cooked out in the pan.
As with all pasta dishes, this is best served as soon as it’s made, though leftovers will keep well in the fridge for 4 days and are easily reheated on the stovetop. You can make the pasta sauce ahead of time and keep it refrigerated, then just cook up the pasta, warm up the sauce and toss everything together.
This creamy pumpkin pasta recipe is such a cozy and delicious recipe that’s perfect for fall. So quick and easy to make and full of flavor, it’s a perfect easy weeknight dinner.
More pasta recipes:
- Baked Pasta with Ground Turkey
- Lemon Ricotta Pasta
- Caprese Pasta Salad with Pesto
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Creamy Pumpkin Pasta recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Cook pasta in a large pot of heavily salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 ½ cups pasta water and drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, 1 minute. Add pumpkin puree, 1 cup of reserved pasta water, whisking to combine until sauce is combined and glossy. Add half and half and stir to combine. Add remaining pasta water if needed. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.