This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This filling grilled chicken and hummus meal prep recipe is the perfect healthy packed lunch. Loaded with protein, fresh veggies, naan bread and hummus, this make ahead dairy-free meal will keep you feeling full and satisfied.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. The chicken is marinated before being grilled, sliced and added to the meal prep containers
- Chicken marinade: Oil, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano.
- Red pepper hummus: Using a red pepper hummus adds a nice color and flavor to this meal prep. You can also use a plain hummus if you prefer, or try this avocado hummus dip.
- Mini naan bread: Try including some carbs in meal prep to give you some energy for the afternoon. Mini pita bread would also work great.
- Vegetables: These lunchboxes are finished with some sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes. You can add any other fresh veggies or fruit.
How to meal prep chicken
- Marinade the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken breasts into a hot grill pan.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown.
- Slice into strips to add to your meal prep containers.
Tips for meal prepping chicken
- Be careful not to overcook the chicken. If you’re planning to reheat the chicken, it can become very dry if it’s already slightly overcooked. This meal prep is great at room temperature though or even cold. The chicken does not need to be heated before eating.
- Don’t marinade the chicken for more than 2 hours. Over marinated chicken can become dry. If you are in a hurry, 30 minutes will be enough time to add flavor.
- Allow the chicken to rest before cutting it up. Remove the chicken from the grill pan and place it onto a chopping board and loosely cover it with foil. Let it rest for 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Keep the meal prep boxes refrigerated. Cooked chicken can be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours, so it’s great to take to work or school, but once there, pop it in the fridge until lunch time.
Frequently asked questions
Once you have grilled your chicken and cut it up, let it cool completely before storing in the fridge in an air tight container. It will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days, so you can easily cook it up at the start of the week and pop it into the boxes for easy lunches.
Yes! This is a great filling and well balanced meal. High in protein, with good amounts of carbs and fiber to keep you full and energized, as well as fresh veggies, this is one healthy option.
This chicken and hummus meal prep recipe is great as it is, but you can easily adapt it. You can add in any other fresh veggies or fruits you like, or try swapping the hummus for a creamy feta dip or ranch dip.
This grilled chicken and hummus meal prep recipe is a great healthy lunch option to keep you on track with your wellness goals. Simple to make ahead of time, these lunchboxes will keep you feeling full and satisfied and ready to face the rest of the day.
More meal prep recipes:
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Chicken & Hummus Meal Prep recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Chicken & Hummus Meal Prep
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup red pepper hummus
- 12 slices mini naan breads
- 1 English cucumber sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Prepare the marinade by whisking the olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken into the bowl and toss to combine and evenly coat the chicken with the marinade. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Place chicken on the grill for 5-7 minutes. Flip over and cook until golden brown and the juices run dry, approximately 5-7 more minutes.
- Remove chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice and divide in the meal prep containers
- Divide the hummus, naan, cucumbers and tomatoes between the meal prep containers.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Very nice and healthy my son adores hummus
Thank you! Hummus is the best!
This looks SO good! I can’t wait to try it!!
Thank you! Let me know what you think once you do.
Chicken came out perfect. Never thought about mustard on my grilled chicken marinade. I got some regular hummus and pita chips with my veggies, love arugula with grilled chicken.
Thank you! Love that combo.