This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These perfectly spiced cardamom cookies are made for Christmas! Warming in flavor, they are perfectly soft with rich flavors of molasses and lemon in every bite. Simple to make, they are great for gifting to friends and family over the holidays.
How to make cardamom cookies
- Combine the butter and sugars with electric beaters.
- Add in the egg, molasses, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Beat until light and creamy.
- Gradually mix in the mixed dry ingredients.
- Place balls of the dough on a lined baking sheet and bake.
- You’ll know they’re done when they are firm with slightly darkened edges.
Tips for making the recipe well
- Chill the dough before baking. This will keep the cookies from spreading too much and allow for the center to be ultra soft and moist.
- Rolls the dough in granulated sugar for an extra special treat. This makes them sweeter and with a glistening look, but it does require more time to achieve.
- Soften your butter before using. I like to take mine out of the fridge 30 minutes or an hour before I want to make the cardamom cookies. It will combine more easily with the other ingredients.
- Leave space the cookie balls on your baking sheet. The cookies will spread during baking, so allow them room so that they don’t bake into each other.
Frequently asked questions
Once your cookies have cooled completely, transfer them to an airtight container. They will keep well at room temperature for 2 to 3 days and in the fridge for 5 to 6.
You can also make the cookie dough 2 to 3 days ahead of time and keep it wrapped in the fridge.
Yes, these cardamom cookies are freezer friendly and will keep well for up to 3 months. Let them cool completely and then freeze solid on a baking sheet before transferring to a freezer bag. Alternatively, you can wrap them individually and then freeze together.
Yes you can! The ingredients should be just combined at each stage.This is especially important when you add in the flour. If you over mix the flour, the gluten will over develop and your cookies will be flatter and crisper.
These cardamom cookies are all kinds of delicious! They have such warming flavors that are perfect for the holiday season. So simple to make, I can’t wait for you to try one of my favorite cookie recipes!
More cookie recipes:
- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Cardamom Cookies recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cardamom, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Cream with electric beaters on medium-high until fluffy.
- Add egg, molasses, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat on high until creamy and light and just combined.
- On low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide the dough into 1 ½ tablespoon-sized balls using a spring-loaded scoop.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are firm and slightly darker at the edges.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.