These easy Broccoli Fritters take minutes to make with a few basic ingredients. Simple to prep with no special equipment, low-carb and such a crowd pleaser!
These Broccoli Fritters make for a great veggie loaded snack or appetizer. These fritters are ready to eat in less than 20 minutes and they are a great way to sneak in some extra goodness into your family’s diets! Even non-broccoli fans will be gobbling these up like champs.
If you loved my Cauliflower Fritters and Chickpea Fritters, you are going to love this broccoli version! These fritters make for a great appetizer and mid afternoon snack to keep the hunger at bay. You can also serve them as part of a main course alongside Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Cauliflower Potato Salad for a well balanced meal.
How do you make broccoli fritters
Pulse the broccoli in a food processor to break it up. You can also use a cheese grater or even chop them up with a sharp knife, which is actually what I prefer doing because the course texture helps to limit the moisture.
Add the eggs, cheese, grated onions and spices to the chopped broccoli and combine all of the ingredients together until they’re well blended.
To make the broccoli fritters, the next step is basically to form the mixture into patties with your hands. You can set them aside on a cutting board or parchment paper until you are ready to fry them.
Fry the broccoli and cheese fritters in a skillet with olive oil for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
Tips for making broccoli fritters
- Chop the ingredients finely. In order for the mixture to hold well together, it’s important that you mince the broccoli and onions. You can do this with a very sharp knife like I did or with a food processor. Be careful not to over blend in a food processor, or you may release too much liquid.
- Use a spatula to shape the fritters while frying. Don’t worry if the shapes seem imperfect at first and it feels like it’s not holding together. It will start to bind when it hits the heat, and you can carefully shape them while they’re cooking.
- Don’t fry the fritters on too high a heat. If the pan is too hot, the outside will brown too quickly and the middle of the fritters won’t cook through. Remember there’s a raw egg we gotta cook in there 😉
- Heat the olive oil thoroughly before adding the broccoli fritters to the pan. You can test a tiny crumb to see if it sizzles when it hits the oil. That’s your cue it’s fry time.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, after forming the fritters, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at back at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Yes! These fritters will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. You can reheat them in the oven or on the stovetop to serve. They also freeze well either before or after cooking. We like reheating them in the toaster oven so they get crispy again.
Yes they are unless you decide to add flour to the mix, which is completely optional (and I didn’t use in photos here). You can also make these vegetarian broccoli fritters vegan by using a vegan cheese in place of the mozzarella and a flax egg in place of the egg.
These fritters are a great way to sneak some extra veggies into diets, and my kids love them when served with their favorite ketchup!
More Broccoli Recipes
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Broccoli & Cheese Hand Pies
- Broccoli Pizza Crust
- Chicken and Broccoli Wraps
- Lighter Chicken Broccoli Pasta Alfredo
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Broccoli Fritters recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 1 broccoli head cut into florets
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil for frying
- In a food processor, pulse the broccoli until it’s the size of fine couscous. You can alternatively chop it with a knife really finely. You should get about 2 cups of grated broccoli.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, egg, onions, garlic, cheese, flour (if using) and seasoning. Stir until the mixture is well combined and moistened.
- Form the mixture into 1/2-inch thick patties, about 4 inches wide. It will make about 6 fritters.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fritters in batches of 3 and fry, turning once, until crispy, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fritters to a large paper towel-lined plate and cover while you finish cooking the remaining fritters.
- Serve the fritters warm with your favorite dipping sauce
- To freeze them prior to cooking, lay them on a flat baking dish in the freezer for at least 4 hours. When frozen, place them in an airtight bag. Thaw in the fridge overnight and cook per instructions.
- To freeze them after cooking, simply store them in an airtight bag after they’ve cooled. To re-heat, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake in a 350°F oven until heated through.
- Instead of eggs, you can use flax eggs. For each regular egg, use 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water.
- Any type of shredded cheese can be used
- Use 1:1 GF flour to make them gluten-free