This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These chickpea fritters are a great appetizer or can served as part of a weeknight meal. Made with just a few simple ingredients, they are quick to prep and cook and are ready to serve in less than 20 minutes. They can be made ahead of time and are great for meal prep! Easily made gluten free.
I know I’m biased, but I love this vegetarian mashed chickpea fritter recipe! I love serving them with a tahini sauce for a healthy snack or appetizer, but also serve them as part of a main alongside my Air Fried Sweet Potato Fries and a simple veggie side.
How to make chickpea fritters
In a bowl, combine the fritter ingredients and use a fork to mash everything together. It will take a little elbow grease, and you can do it faster using a mini food processor, but it definitely works fine with a fork.
Divide the mixture into six uniform thin patties. Keeping them thin will ensure that the chickpea fritters cook well on the inside without burning on the outside.
Fry the patties in a large pan for two to three minutes on each side until golden brown and firm. And then you’re ready to add these to salads, dip them in a sauce or just enjoy them on their own!
Tips for making chickpea fritters
- Make them gluten-free. You can use any other gluten free flour you’d like. Chickpea flour works really well, as does almond flour to make these fritters.
- Let the oil get hot before you fry the fritters. This will allow them to get wonderfully browned and golden and crispy on the outside. Look for a shimmer on the oil, but make sure it’s not smoking.
- Drain and rinse your canned chickpeas. The liquid that they are stored in can be quite salty, so be sure to rinse them in a sieve or colander to remove excess sodium. You’ll need to add a couple tablespoons of water to help them bind, but it’s best to use fresh water for that.
- Double the recipe easily. You can easily double all the ingredients to make 12 instead of 6 patties. If you do so, I highly recommend using a food processor because mashing double the ingredients with a fork will be much more tedious.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! Because these chickpea fritters contain cheese, they are not vegan, but you can easily swap the cheese for a vegan variety or a little nutritional yeast.
You can mix the ingredients for these patties ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge for 3 or 4 days before forming the patties. You can also make make the patties and separate them with parchment and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. Cooked patties will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can freeze the cooked or uncooked patties for up to 3 months. Freeze them on a baking sheet before transferring to a freezer bag or container. Thaw the patties in the fridge overnight before reheating in the oven if already cooked, or carry on with the recipe instructions if uncooked.
I love how easy and quick it is to make a batch of these fritters with just a can of chickpeas, flour, cheese and herbs! The kids love them and they are perfect when you need dinner in a hurry! Make a double batch for easy meal prep!
More fritters and patties
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chickpea Fritters recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, all purpose flour, parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add two tablespoons of water and use a fork or masher to combine the ingredients until they are well blended.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and form into thin patties.
- In a large pan, heat the oil until it's shimmering. Then add the chickpea fritters and cook until browned and fully cooked through, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil, then serve with tahini sauce or any other sauce of choice.
- To freeze them prior to cooking, lay them on a flat baking dish in the freezer for at least 4 hours. When frozen, place them in an airtight bag. Thaw in the fridge overnight and cook per instructions.
- To freeze them after cooking, simply store them in an airtight bag after they’ve cooled. To re-heat, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake in a 350°F oven until heated through.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.