This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Made a big pot of mashed potatoes this holiday season? Got a ton of leftovers? Well, you’ll be thankful for these 22 Recipes with Leftover Mashed Potatoes! Creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes can elevate so many recipes, from casseroles to bread rolls, I’ve rounded up my favorites.
Table of Contents
Mashed potatoes aren’t just for the holidays; they are for every day! Give your leftover mashed potatoes a makeover with 22 simple recipes. From breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner you can do a ton with even just a dollop of mashed potatoes spread on top of pies, fried into fritters or even used in soup!
Why you should cook more recipes with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- Helps reduce food waste. No one likes watching the food you’ve spent time and money on go to waste. Give them a makeover by repurposing holiday mashed potatoes into other delicious dishes.
- Saves time during meal prep. With the base component of a recipe already cooked, you save time and can quickly whip up a delicious meal during busy days. Whether it’s a quick weeknight dinner or last-minute lunch, using leftover mashed potatoes facilitates efficient meal prep.
- Lets you enjoy deliciously comforting food. Mashed potatoes are a classic comfort food and turning them into new dishes gives that familiar, cozy experience all over again.
- Mashed potatoes can be easily customized. This traditional family-friendly dish can be transformed into crowd-pleasing meals, from potato pancakes to comforting casseroles to potato rolls – there’s something for everyone.
Tips for using leftover mashed potatoes
- Remember proper storage is key for your potatoes. Use an airtight container and keep them on the highest shelf in your fridge. You can store them for up to four days.
- Freeze mashed potatoes if you have too much. Potatoes don’t typically freeze well, but mashed potatoes are the exception. Mix your mash with some butter and cream to make sure they freeze up well. Scoop mash into freezer-safe bags and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Defrost by placing the mashed potatoes in the refrigerator and thawing overnight. If you want to speed things up, you can gently reheat on the stovetop or in the oven, slow cooker, or microwave.
- Stir in some sour cream or cream cheese to give them a thicker, more creamy, consistency after reheating. This helps for however you might be using the potatoes.
Different Types of Mashed Potato Recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – Save time with this hands-off recipe made with 4 simple ingredients and in your pressure cooker; this option is great when you’re short on time or have to run out the door.
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes – Looking for a dairy-free option? You can’t go wrong with this deeply flavorful and oh-so-dreamy mashed potato recipe made with olive oil.
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes – Lighter in calories but loaded with flavor, these are a must-make. Whipped with low-fat sour cream and vegetable stock to get that creamy consistency but still so tasty you won’t miss anything.
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes – Garlic lovers unite! With two whole heads of garlic, these will make a tasty addition to any holiday table and will make any subsequent dishes so garlicky and irresistible.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes – Switch things up with this option. It’s slightly sweet but still so delicious and pairs well with your choice of protein and all the holiday sides.
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes – Are you looking for a low-carb alternative? You’ll love this super fluffy and tasty low-carb option to the traditional recipe.
best recipes with leftover mashed potatoes
Whatever mashed potatoes you served for the holidays, it would be a shame to let that creamy goodness go to waste. Learn how to use leftover mashed potatoes to create mouthwatering breakfast favorites, hearty casseroles, and small bites that are fit for a party! Plus, you’ll love the healthy recipes for leftover mashed potatoes that are rich in flavor but feel lighter with better-for-you ingredients.
Breakfast and Brunch Recipes with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- Ejjeh Lebanese Omelette – Make this simple herby omelette and generously stuff it with creamy leftover mashed potatoes. The combination of fresh herbs and the rich texture of potatoes creates a delicious blend that’s comforting and unique.
- Mashed Potato Pancakes – When it comes to simple recipes with leftover mashed potatoes, nothing is easier than turning them into tasty pancakes. These are so easy to make and quick to cook up on a skillet. With their perfectly crispy edges, they make an irresistible breakfast or delicious weeknight side dish.
- Hash Brown Egg Nests – Looking for healthy recipes for leftover mashed potatoes to start the day with? These egg nests will become a family fave fast! Simply swap the hash browns for leftover mashed potatoes for an easy, delicious, and unique breakfast idea.
- Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Waffles – If you love waffles as much as we do, you will love this savory version. It perfectly completes the waffle trifecta between sweet potato waffles and cauliflower waffles. Top with a fried egg and dig in!
- Mashed Potato Puffs – Crispy, creamy, and oh-so-cheesy. If you wanted to know how to use leftover mashed potatoes that will be a hit with the whole family – these potato puffs are it! They’re a quick grab-and-go breakfast and are very similar to my freezer-friendly baked egg cups.
Casserole Recipes with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie – This meatless take on a classic comfort dish will become one of your favorite healthy recipes for leftover mashed potatoes. Swap out the meat with mushrooms and quinoa and load it up with colorful vegetables that cook in a rich gravy sauce.
- Lebanese Potato Souffle – If you’re looking for the ultimate comfort food – look no further. This is a Lebanese version of Shepherd’s pie with layers of creamy mashed potatoes and a spiced ground beef filling, making it a true comfort food that the whole family will love.
- Turkey and Mashed Potatoes Casserole – This one joins the best of both worlds – leftover Thanksgiving turkey and mashed potatoes. Just saute some onions and garlic, add turkey and gravy, then cover with mashed taters and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly and golden brown and oh-so-delicious.
- Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes – Creamy, rich, and perfect to make ahead, these mashed potatoes casserole will be a huge hit with your family and friends. Give those taters a makeover by whipping in sour cream and bold cheeses, and baking to bubbly perfection.
- Chantilly Potatoes – Use leftover mashed potatoes as a shortcut and fold them into whipped cream and Parmesan cheese, and bake until perfectly creamy, decadent, and oh-so-delicious. It makes a great side dish with any protein or even a simple garden salad.
Healthy Recipes with Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- Potato Tuna Cakes – Hearty and delicious, these savory tuna cakes come together quickly with mostly pantry staples and leftover mashed potatoes. They’re great when you’re needing a protein-rich and satisfying meal. Plus, they can be pan-fried or baked in the oven, making it one of my favorite healthy recipes for leftover mashed potatoes.
- Mashed Potato Salad – This is a different kind of potato salad but so good and has those irresistible familiar flavors. Mashed potatoes are tossed with hard-boiled eggs, chopped celery, and green onions and dressed with a tangy dressing for a mouthwatering salad that tastes even better the next day.
- Leftover Potato Gnocchi – Turn leftover mash into hearty gnocchi! This easy homemade gnocchi recipe is light, pillowy, and ready in 20 minutes! Pair gnocchi with sauteed mushrooms with garlic for one of the best and simple recipes with leftover mashed potatoes.
- Spinach and Garlic Potato Patties – These delicious and flavorful bites are made with mashed potatoes, sauteed onion, spinach, and garlic and pan-fried in good-quality olive oil. It’s a creative and delicious way to use up that mash!
- Easy Leftover Mashed Potato Soup – There is virtually no prep or fancy equipment involved – you can whip this up on the stovetop or let it simmer in the slow cooker. It’s a delicious, hearty soup that can be lightened up with chicken stock and yogurt instead of heavy cream.
- Tex-Mex Mashed Potatoes – These Papas con Chile are pure magic. It’s a delicious way to give your mashed potatoes a makeover by sprucing them up with sauteed veggies, including onions and bell peppers. Add these to your list of healthy recipes for leftover mashed potatoes.
Small Bites with leftover Mashed Potatoes
- Leftover Mashed Potato Rolls – The only thing better than a dinner roll is one made with mashed potatoes. The best part? It doesn’t matter what you’ve put in your mashed potatoes – cream cheese, butter, garlic, herbs, broth – they all turn out amazing!
- Mashed Potato Croquettes – You will fall in love with these at first bite! Soft, warm, comforting, and the perfect use for leftover mashed potatoes. Made with breadcrumbs, cheese, chives, and eggs, you can bake them in the oven or fry them in a skillet for a mouthwatering appetizer or snack.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes – Do you love simple recipes with leftover mashed potatoes that transform an amazing side dish into endless flavor combinations? Then this potato cakes recipes is for you. It’s the perfect way to enjoy leftover mashed potatoes with endless flavor possibilities.
- Mini Crab Cakes – Crab meat and leftover mashed potatoes are coated in panko bread crumbs, cheeses, fresh herbs, and a little bit of mayonnaise. They are loaded with flavor and perfect as an appetizer, finger food, or part of a main meal.
- Leftover Mashed Potato Balls – Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, put those spare spuds to good use with a quick-fix recipe that’s oh-so-delicious! Serve with leftover cranberry sauce or homemade gravy.
- Crispy Potato Cod Fish Cakes – Crispy and seasoned to perfection, these fish cakes taste like comfort food at its finest. You’ll need just a few cups of leftover mashed potatoes and some cooked fish, green onions, and breadcrumbs to make these crispy and mouthwatering fish cakes.
frequently asked questions
Absolutely! Most of these recipes with leftover potatoes can be made with mashed sweet potatoes instead, lending a hint of sweetness to your dishes. I recommend that you adjust the seasoning to balance the natural sweetness.
That would vary on the ingredients in the particular recipe, depending on what the mashed potatoes are whipped with. However, most mashed potatoes are good for up to 4 days, provided they are stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Gradually add a little bit of warm liquid like milk, cream, or broth and gently reheat on the stovetop or the microwave in short intervals. Be careful not to add too much liquid, as that will make the potatoes runny, but just enough to get a creamy texture.
These recipes with leftover mashed potatoes offer a tasty solution to food waste, providing practical and versatile options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and healthy ideas that the whole family will love. I hope these simple recipes with leftover mashed potatoes inspire you to get creative in the kitchen and give them new life.
full list of recipes
Check out the picture cards for all the recipes listed above. You can click on any of the recipes cards to take you directly to those recipes.
If you found this recipe roundup for Recipes with Leftover Mashed Potatoes helpful or if you try any recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipes! It helps others who are thinking of trying out this tutorial and we would love to hear about your experience. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!